Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gear selector

Hi all

Can anyone explain how to set up the gearchange ratchet mechanism, i have fitted in the casing following diagrams etc but the hooks dont seem to engage with any teeth on the plate? The bike selects all gears by turning the square where the selector arm mounts but when i put the arm on and position the ratchet i cant seem to get it to mesh and turn the plate forwards or backwards. Also the spring seem to be pulling the hooks inwards towards the bike so the hool doesnt sit flush with the ratchet plate.

Re: Gear selector

Tod it would pay to mention the make and model for advice. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, how daft of me its a 1944 BSA WM20

I don't fully understand the problem? Hopefully these service sheets will help. Ron

Scan-gearbox-1
Scan-gearbox-2
Scan-gearbox-3

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Tod

I can email you a file that covers the gear selector mechanism assembly in some detail.
When you have it assembled you need to have the spring clip (15-4240) on the operating shaft otherwise the ratchet lever (plate) will tend to slide out and the pawls will not engage. It is a fiddly operation to get everything together and keep it that way until it is secured.

cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hi Pete

I have sent you an email. I think the majority of my issues were that the double nuts holding the pawls were tight together but not to the plate allowing 20thou play in either direction which made them feel very sloppy, i adjusted these last night but i am currently at the stage where the circlip needs to go on then i can start adjusting the selector arm hopefully. Going to have abit more time on it tonight.

Thanks

Hi
sent :+1:
good luck!

cheers

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1