Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: M20 BSA front mudguard fitting

Hi,

Can anyone advise with my BSA M20 mudguard.

- The big disc, and a small washer, how and where does this fit please?

- The rear stay, it is one hole, and how does this fit? Is this right has thought there was a M bracket?

Thanks, and pictures etc would be great!

Cheers

Danny

IMG-1606
IMG-1607
IMG-1608

email (option): dannyburt152@gmail.com

Danny,
My mudguard had a welded bolt in that hole, there was a plate with the bolt welded to it. The mudguard is fastened to it with one of those special nuts, like on the rear mudguard stays.
The washer, I tried to find out about this years ago, I don't think anything came of it.

Dave

This should help you.
https://pesltd.uk/?product=27-5446
https://pesltd.uk/?product=15-0447

66-6556 I haven't made yet,

The big washer goes under the mudguard and a smaller one goes above it.
Though I could be corrected.
The fasteners listed are easy to workout.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

The big washer fits underside the mudguard under the central fork lug to spread the load. The extra hole was for the mid 30's period when the horn was mounted under the headlamp. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS Mark I think those fixings you show are for the rear mudguard lower stay. Ron

Yes they are Ron as well as the rear of the front mudguard.

Mark

Ah yes I got that wrong. Those ones you have are the single (5/16") bolt and nut for the front stand. The ones on the rear mudguard stays are 1/4"...Oops! Ron

The parts list I used showed three pairs being used on a bike.
It took a while and thanks to the late Rob Nortiers work I found that two are used on the rear of the lower stays 66-6886 and 66-6887
and incorrectly 5/16" bolts are often fitted here.
Using the correct fasteners makes more sense of their shape.
The third one is used on the front mudguard stand.
All 1/4" cycle thread.

Mark

You are right Mark. I just looked it up. The front stand bolt is 1/4" when I've always assumed it would need a heavier 5/16"....But why have they got different part numbers? Ron

Ron, I've found B715 listed for the lower stay using 15-0447 nut.
Other wise for the front stand is as I've mentioned.

Mark

The front stand bolt is 1/4” 26TPI however it is stepped and has 2 flats to lock into the guard. It looks like someone has reamed it round. The nut is domed and shouldered to fit in the hole in the stand.

ive been having a debate about the rear lower mudguards stay bolts with a friend, anyone got a pic of thees? i assumed they had a stud with the domed shouldered nut, and there not the same bolt as used on the front lower mudguard stand?

thanks, barry

Barry the nuts are the shoulder nuts that Mark has 15-0447

The bolts are 1/4x26tpi hex and are screwed from inside the mudguard into the tapped holes in the mudguard bridge piece. Designed so that you can loosen the nuts and slide the tail piece away. Ron

004-India-office-BSA-14'>

Mark

thanks mark and ron, se i thought the bolt in the pic just went on the front guard slot because there isnt a hex head to tighten or undo, plus its threaded on the tail piece bridge so itl be fixed in one place. i have a pic of a parts list it does all so show another domed head bolt 24.7276 what could this bolt be

barry fuller
thanks mark and ron, se i thought the bolt in the pic just went on the front guard slot because there isnt a hex head to tighten or undo, plus its threaded on the tail piece bridge so itl be fixed in one place. i have a pic of a parts list it does all so show another domed head bolt 24.7276 what could this bolt be
just to ad ive always used a bolt from behind and used that special nut to clamp the stay

Barry what section of the parts list is the number 24-7276? Mudguards? I haven't found it yet.

The number for the lower rear stay bolts is actually B751 and the same bolts/sets are used on the fork ends of the front mudguard stays.

Ron

Apology Ron, 27-5446 just one used on the front stand.
B751 used on the lower rear stays.
As you mention also two used on the front stays connecting to the forks.

Mark

Ron Pier
Barry what section of the parts list is the number 24-7276? Mudguards? I haven't found it yet.

The number for the lower rear stay bolts is actually B751 and the same bolts/sets are used on the fork ends of the front mudguard stays.

Ron
ron im not sure which parts list, maybe for early machines, i only got a pic of one page, rear mudguard and fittings, il email it over to you and youl se that bolt at the bottom of the page

barry

27-7276 are the top bolts for the hinged tail piece for the V twin model G14. (1940 civilian parts list) Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1