Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch tools

Hello all

Started stripping my bike down as part of renovation work (frame respray/powder coat etc) and all well so far. I'm at the point to take gearbox and then engine out but need to get clutch out obviously. I don't want too get too medieval too soon so have questions about clutch/primary drive removal.

I have tried chiselling loose those castellated nuts that hold the single clutch spring at bay and the primary drive sprocket. The clutch one loosed ok but the drive one is solid and im in danger of buggereing it up . Can anyone recommed a good tool for that?

I wanted to double check what other tools i might need. Ive not taken clutch nut off as ive seen comment of it flying across the garage. Ive seen some mention of a tool that screws into clutch and allows for spring compression whilst you get the nut off. Can anyone recommend either a nifty work around method or place to get the tool. Finally i believe the clutch is on a taperted shaft with wudruff key and i think i needs a puller, like the magdynamo i guess. Again any nifty workaround available or a good source for the correct tool.

I like work arounds if at all possible as i guess we all have built up gargaes with lots of tools that we have used once and so tryig to avoid that if i can :)

cheers

Neil

email (option): nlhclarke@gmail.com

Re: Clutch tools

Buy the appropriate tools. This won't be the only time you'll need them.

If you are using a chisel to remove the nuts, you have already buggered them up! Buy the correct tools as you will need them in the future.

And yes I am guilty of doing this 40 years ago when I had no money to buy the correct tools. But once I had a job, I bought the correct tools.

Chiseling is not good! apart from buggering the nut, you could bend the shafts.

The late Robb Nortier in USA made a series of tools including the castellated sockets. I was selling them here on his behalf. The last of his stock went to Dave Plumb. davmax@ntlworld.com All the clutch sprockets were sold but I don't know what else he has or made. I believe that Mark Cook intends to make some.

Here also is the spring compressor that I made. Ron

M20-481
M20-050

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Tools should be regarded as an asset (a necessary one), not an overhead..Chisel?:neutral_face: ...Oh dear...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Chaps

thanks for the replies and yes i also think that probably the best option. I guess you guys expect i will be in here again in the future anyway which I don't know is a good omen or not !! I wasn't overly brutal and didn't use a chisel. I had some hook spanner from then chain adjuster of an old VFR750 which fitted a treat but of course only on 1 'castle' so a lot of force on 2 bit. Ill look for correct tools /see if I can make a spying compressor...

Taking clutch domed cover off possibly indicated potential reason for a previous problem i had where clutch slipped a bit under kick stating as there was plenty of oil in there and should be dry i believe. Drawings suggest a cork seal of some sort, I wonder if there's is a potential for a rubber seal/O-ring replacement?

cheers
Neil

email (option): nlhclarke@gmail.com

I will make and supply a set of tools as soon as I can, just overwhelmed with work at the moment to develop something new.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1