Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust tappet query

Good evening.

Can anyone assist with identifying the exhaust tappet of an m20 engine please? I have read details on this forum about chrome plating and a thicker pad.

My issue is I have a what we think is a replacement NOS exhaust tappet, the thickness where it is ground perpendicular to the running face seems the same as the inlet. The inlet one i have I can only describe as more triangular ( so looks thicker overall which is what is confusing), and the exhaust one flatter overall and I can't seem to detect a chrome plating finish.

I am not familiar with BSA engines so want to be sure I am fitting the right one in the right place. I am sure I am over thinking it and should just go ahead and fit them!

Have searched for hours trying to find a decent picture which tells the story better!

Thank you in advance

Adam

Re: Exhaust tappet query

The inlet and exhaust tappets are different. The exhaust has the large "brim" for the valve lifter. The part numbers are 66-1497 and 66-1498.

You can see them on Drags site :-
https://draganfly.co.uk/product-category/bsa/sparesparts-for-bsa-a710-b3133-c101112-m202133/engine-gaskets-gearbox/timing-gear/pre-unit-b-m-group-gear/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Are writing about the cam followers?
The exhaust is often treated to stellite facing and can often be hard to see.

https://pesltd.uk/?product=66-1495

https://pesltd.uk/?product=66-1493

The descriptions and pictures should help.

As I don't expect the links to work, you have to highlight them and right click
Or just click on them as the links seem to work for now. :)

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

The foot of the exhaust cam follower that contacts the cam is treated on its face in the sidevalve engines only and in all wartime and post war engines of the type....Personally I think the treatment is hard chrome plating as Stellite cam followers generally have a pad of stellite brazed to the face.
However, that's an academic point and which ever finish it is it has a 'whiteish' colour compared to the untreated inlet follower.. If you hold both together you should clearly see the colour difference between the two...If you can't then you have either two inlets or two exhausts and the problem then is to identify what you have...Post the result after you have made a comparison....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you for the replies.

Yes I was talking about the followers, that's my bad description, apologies.

As I have one original inlet follower which wasn't badly worn it has been difficult to compare the faces.

From the links that Mark has posted, my NOS exhaust looks more like his inlet ones in that the "foot" overall looks slimmer in thickness (from radius to foot) and partially ground near the radius. The confusing part is my inlet one looks more like Marks exhaust one!

When looking at the foot of my NOS one it does look shiny and ground on the foot face. It arrived covered in grease and paper.

I guess I will have to purchase another from a different source and fit both New ones, even if it does mean potentially fitting 2 exhaust ones!

Thanks again

Adam

If you can send me a clear photograph of both off forum I may be able to clear it up...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

There would be no harm in fitting the exhaust follower to both, it fact to me it would be a better way to do it.
Unless I get corrected.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Ian,

Email with pictures sent, thank you for the assistance.

Mark,

I would agree, I can't think of a reason why 2 exhaust cam followers would cause a negative effect. This may well be the direction I take.

Many thanks for the input

Adam

To wrap this up, I sourced an exhaust one from Russell Motors while placing an order for some other parts, looks more like the pictures i have seen, thicker foot and overall deeper than the original inlet one i have. I will use the other NOS one on the inlet side, although it doesnt quite look as thick as the existing inlet one I have, I am sure it will do just fine.

Thank you for the assistance

Adam

Nieuwe pagina 1