Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheared fork link

The bottom right fork link on my WM20's sheared at its steering stem spigot.
The links & bushings are OK apart from this, the spindles are nipped up to prevent play & they're well greased.
Most inconveniencing. I note that in an old magazine article noted M20 enthusiast RADCO said he'd never known a link to shear like this.
Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Re: Sheared fork link

Henk used to machine new spigots and silver solder them into the plate. I think he used silver steel, but I'm not sure it's necessary to use silver steel? Maybe Mark Cook can perform such a repair? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think I have some spare pins, I expect the link could be bored out and a pin pressed in.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Thanks for the quick replies. Things worsened dramatically when moving the bike around the shed, the left link sheared too! I'm at a loss to explain this. A complete rebuild is called for, I have spare NOS upper links & will have to obtain a set of lowers. Funds are tight at the moment so the poor WM20's off the road yet again.
Any theories as to why the spigots have failed in this manner are welcome, though I deny neglecting them.

Without close inspection any possible theories would be pure fantasy.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

I've also never come across this problem..Two links breaking would indicate something seriously not right...Indian fork links.?..Or perhaps they have been heated and quenched in the past causing brittleness...You will probably never know...Regarding Henks solution with brazed silver steel pins I would not consider that good practice personally and wouldn't recommend it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the replies, Mark & Ian
Mark's right about close inspection, I'll have to examine what's left to see if I can find any indications.
Of course, one link failing puts double the stress on the other plus a twisting action. These links have done about 80,000 miles for me & who knows how much before?
I won't trust the other links, the forks will have to have new ones & bushings.

Nieuwe pagina 1