Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 front mudguard query

Good evening

I have a front mudguard that came with my 44 project which doesn't seem to match any pictures I can find. It seems to fit OK but has a pair of welded front numberplate rails rather than the usual 2 holes and a horn mount bracket which is attached, through which the fork mount passes through which has a factory formed dimple and stiffeneing washer. Is this setup any of you recognise as being from a different, earlier or later BSA model? I would love to post a picture but it's not something I am able to do (not really a techy person)

Trying to decide whether to keep an eye out for a different one.

Thank you

Adam

Re: M20 front mudguard query

The early M20 had those two welded beads for the guard. They're quite sought-after by people doing 1940 or earlier builds.

Photo posting is currently disabled on this message board due to spammer problems...it's not you, none of us can !

Thank you for the reply, greatly appreciated.

At least it seems it is for an M20 so for now I think I will proceed getting it prepared and fitted to my project, until an original later correct one can be found.

Thank you

Adam

Very many motorcycles by the end of the war were "rebuilds" and to the REME or Ministry of Supply workshops, a reconditioned M20 mudguard was an M20 mudguard.

Unless you're going for a contract-specific build, my feeling is to use it, and apply a Rebuild WD serial. They absolutely did do that at the time.

Hi Adam. I've seen your post regarding the front mudguard, is it the same width throughout its entire length or is the rear section wider? The military ones that I have seen with the number plate rail have all been wider at the rear. If it should happen to be a parallel one then I would be very interested in it for my civilian spec bike, should it become available at a later date. Please let me know. Cheers, Pete

I was not aware that they were wider at the rear. But I suppose it might be? Ron

000-India-Office-BSA-2
001-India-Office-BSA

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I can only imagine that they were pulled open at the rear. For as far as I know, these mudguards were rolled, so the whole length of the mudguard had the same section. But it's easy to pull open one end...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi,

Yes that is what I have, looks to be the same width front to back.

It could well be available if I can find a later spec original to replace it with!

Many thanks

Adam

Hi Adam. OK, If it should become surplus to your needs, please please let me know. I can offer it a good home. Cheers, Pete

Pete

I shall let you know if one comes up.

Many thanks for the replies and help identifying it!

Best regards

Adam

Nieuwe pagina 1