Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Washers...

Here's a picture of the standards for Whitworth and BSF (and Cycle Thread) washers....Is this what was used in the motorcycle industry and if so does anyone have the right ones?...I'd also be interested to know of a supplier if one is known..In the engineering world these washers were refered to as 'machine washers'....I've made thousands on auto lathes at various times....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Washers...

5/8" O/D sounds a bit big for a 1/4" washer, unless that info dates from well before WW2 and hence these are washers to suit the "old" Whit bolt head sizes i.e. before they were reduced by one size relative to each thread diameter?
I don't recall any original fitment BSA washers with a turned chamfer, all that I've encountered from late 30's onward have been to the smaller whitworth size and stamped from sheet, which usually gives them a right way/wrong way to fit them.
Standard size BSA washers (there were plenty of exceptions) I generally replace with Imperial washers to "Table 3 Heavy" spec which are as near as dammit to the NOS BSA washers I have.
Does this sort of washer-counting equate with "rivet counting"?

"Washer-Worshipper" has a certain ring to it ! :grinning:

What sizes are you looking for Ian, sadly I make a lot of custom washers.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1