Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crankshaft

Hi again too all. I have come to another problem. I replaced crankpin and center the crankshaft ( around 0,06mm), now i put crankshaft to crankcase. When i just slightly tighten bolts crankshaft doesn't spin. I have put bearings out of crankcase and still doesn't rotate. So i'm guessing crankshaft is problem. Is there maybe a gasket between crankcases.? What is max width for crankshaft -flywheels, to still rotate? My width is around 77,7mm.
Thank you for any info and suggestions.

Re: Crankshaft

Check that the crank pin nuts are not fouling the cases. I have had this problem and needed to grind a flat on the nut for clearance. New nuts seem to have a different (thicker) form to the originals.

There is no gasket between the crank cases. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Did the flywheels pull all the way up against the shoulders on the crank pin when the nuts were fully tightened?...Some crankpins have too large a radius at the larger end of the taper and prevent this happening...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nuts! My first big end kit was made for a M21 and is still going strong.
In a M20 they were a little too close for comfort, so they got redesigned.

This is from my build notes for my M20.

BSA M20
BSA Crank width 67.64mm
Crank weight 11.95kg 26.5.5oz
M20 67.45 03-08-23 With NF305 fitted 85.7mm Outer race clear big end nut.
Righthand crankcase to bearing depth. 34.52mm
Lefthand crankcase to outer bearing and spacer depth. 51.9mm
Clearance/interference. 34,52 + 51.9 = 86.42mm

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Thank you guys . Tommorow i will check nuts and compare new and old crankpin and hope i will see what is going on. In manual i can see that there is no gasket, but it would be the easiest way to solve problem.

How much free play can connecting rod have left and right ?

Side to side the free play should be .010" (max. .012")...If you have a lot more than that with the nuts fully tightened the radii on the pin at the larger end of the tapers may be the problem...When the nut is tightened it should pull the pin into the taper until the flywheel sits against the shoulder on the pin...So, the pin is then locked onto the pin and the shoulder....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The nut rubbed into the housing. It was barely visible, if you hadn't told me where to look I would have had a hard time spotting it. Ian thanks for the info, I'm within limits. Now I can slowly put it together. Thank you all .

Had me puzzled for a while when it happened to me!
Glad you have got it sorted now.

Nieuwe pagina 1