Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch Pushrod

Morning all,
I'm nearing the end of a complete rebuild of a WM20 basket case, and it's fought me all the way. It came with a 6 spring clutch and from what I've read, that set up is only good for holding the garage door open whilst you push the bike out. I've used a pre-unit 4 spring triumph clutch. I'm up to speed on hardening the pushrod ends. At the lever end the rod makes contact with the 5/16 bearing in the lever. But on the other end it sits inside a top hat section at the centre of the clutch cover, is this end of the rod simply shaped into a bull nose? Drags diagrams show it fitted with a bearing I appreciate this is a single spring Bsa set up, but I don't want to miss anything out.
Thanks All.
Alwyn.

Re: Clutch Pushrod

Alwyn Dart
Morning all,
I\'m nearing the end of a complete rebuild of a WM20 basket case, and it\'s fought me all the way. It came with a 6 spring clutch and from what I\'ve read, that set up is only good for holding the garage door open whilst you push the bike out. I\'ve used a pre-unit 4 spring triumph clutch. I\'m up to speed on hardening the pushrod ends. At the lever end the rod makes contact with the 5/16 bearing in the lever. But on the other end it sits inside a top hat section at the centre of the clutch cover, is this end of the rod simply shaped into a bull nose? Drags diagrams show it fitted with a bearing I appreciate this is a single spring Bsa set up, but I don\'t want to miss anything out.
Thanks All.
Alwyn.
Hello again,
Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I can't post pictures on here but this is the part number of what I'm talking about, 57-0422 There's a triumph video on line where a chap is rebuilding his triumph pre- unit clutch and he says, there wasn't a bearing inside this little top hat when he took it apart, but hes pretty sure that it should have one fitted.
Does anyone have the definitive answer, little 1/4 bearing or not? I know lots of people on this forum have fitted the Triumph pre unit 4 spring clutch.
Thanks again
Alwyn

Alwyn I bought a new 4 spring clutch (With rubber cush) from Monty's for my BSA/Indian special. I don't remember a ball in the top hat thrust button. I see the earlier clutch pressure plates had a threaded adjuster pin with no ball. Lots of other clutches I've worked on don't have a ball at that end. It's a hardened cup and I just put a spot of grease in it.

You could phone/email Monty or Ace Classics to doubly confirm. Ron

DSCF3240

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,
I was happy to fit the rod without a ball bearing. it's just when I saw a chap on u tube placing a ball bearing in the top hat (thrust button)it made me doubt what I was doing.
Thanks for coming back to me.
Alwyn

I have a few of the Triumph clutches on my bikes and they don't have a ball bearing in the pressure plate, as Ron states.

I did knock up my own version of the SRM "pusher / bearing" to fit the 4 spring Triumph plate and it worked OK. It is supposed to give a more even lift but I can't say I really noticed any difference to the standard setup though.

here's the SRM one with a "pusher" and a needle roller thrust bearing.

https://www.shop.srmclassicbikes.com/product/bsa-a7-a10-b31-b33-goldstar-clutch-pressure-plate-kit

SRM-PP3

Extraordinary bike Ron.
Hopefully you dont live in a neighbourhood full of rivet counters....:scream:

Hi Michel. The nice thing about building a special is, there are no guide lines to follow!:relaxed: Ron

Indian-S-256

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1