Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3 Middle East.

An early Matchless G3 in what looks like sand colour paint.

Re: Matchless G3 Middle East.

Another nice one Steve! note the Ni-Fe battery, so an early G3WO.

I fitted one on my bike last year,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Some early Matchless spares list indicate that some may have been painted desert "Stone" from the factory?

Rob

Cover

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Yes, Rob, but never found any spare parts in that colour, maybe all went to the Middle East.

Was too late to add the Ni-Fe picture to my prev. post, but here it is;

Have no sample of No.62 Desert Stone, but will see if I can find something, in the meantime some other "Stone" colours;

Lex

There is no mention in the Ministry of Supply ledgers of alternative painting details. It was an RASC contract. Air filters were originally specified and then not fitted...C2073 was a split contract with Triumph...I wonder if they were in alternative finishes too?

IMG-3819-C2073

Rik, I think the Stone colour is mentioned in more of the prewar parts lists, so it must have been done, methinks! Could it have been for India office contracts? or something similar?

Tried to get a picture of that Stone 62, bit it's not in Mike Starmers books at all!! but am missing the Middle East volume, will try other books, but this is getting more complicated by the minute!

Lex

Lex, The Norton ledgers refer to prewar Department of Army Contract sales as "Green" and India Office as "Khaki" until the Army in their wisdom decided to name a greenish colour as "Khaki Green", after which the India bikes were referred to as "Matt Brown".

The stone colour seems to have been an RASC requirment for Palestine or Egypt. It doesn't seem to have applied to RAOC machines which were sent abroad in Bronze Green.

UK3870918850

Thanks Rik!

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1