Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Measurements - Max Speed BSA M20

Good evening, I am writing from Italy I need the following information regarding the BSA M20 motorbike, can you help me?

Height cm
length cm
wheelbase cm
Max. speed

Many thanks!

email (option): cosimomelani@hotmail.com

Re: Measurements - Max Speed BSA M20

The M20 was fairly low powered at 13BHP...Designed top speed was 58mph although some examples seem to be capable of a bit more than that...I'd treat claims of over 65mph in standard specification with caution..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ciao Cosimo,
Hope this helps:

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Just wondering... Was this information useful?

Jan, you may have to explain how to convert feet and inches to CM. ?

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

No problemo:

- 1" (one inch) = 2,54cm
- 1' (one foot) = 12" (twelve inches) = 30,5cm
The wheelbase is 4' 6", or (4 x 30,5) + (6 x 2,54) = 137,24cm
Overall length is 7' 2" = 218,58cm
Overall width is 2' 5" = 73,7cm
Overall height is 3' 3" = 99,1cm
The ground clearance is 4 5/8", or four plus five eighth inch, or (4 + (5/8)) x 2.54 = 11,75cm

- 1 Imperial pint = 0,568 liters
- 1 Imperial gallon = 8 Imperial pints = 4,546 liters (US pints and gallons are different...)
The tank capacity is 3 1/2 gallons (three and a halve gallons), or 3,5 x 4,546 = 15,9 liters

1 lb (one pound) = 0,454 kilos
The unladen weight is 392 lbs or 392 x 0,454 = 178 kilos.

1 mile = 1760 yards, and 1 yard = 3 feet, and 1 foot is 12 inches, and 1 inch is 2,54cm,
this means that 1 mile is 1,609km
The speed at the end of a 1/4 mile sprint is 35,2 m.p.h. (miler per hour), or 35,2 x 1,609 = 56,6 km/h

1 m.p.g. is one mile per gallon. On the continent we do it the other way round: so many liters per 100 kilometers.
1 m.p.g. = 235.21 l/100km
This means that 50 m.p.g. is 4,7 liters per 100 kilometers.

Fascinating stuff, this Imperial system... Blame Napoleon and the fact that we have 10 fingers on our hands for the Metric System. Less fun... 😁

I have never seen any M20 that would go faster than 55 MPH. And I have never seen a M21 go faster than 60 MPH. And I have seen and ridden a number of them.

This applies to bikes in factory condition. No modifications to the motor or gearing. When I hear claims of faster speeds, I think it is made up or they have a speedometer that is not accurate at all. Those that claim their M20 can do 70 MPH with only 13HP, it is impossible!

For comparison a BSA B31 with twice the HP of a M20 can only do 70 MPH.

Actually Jan/Lex. cm is for dressmakers. Engineers use mm :innocent: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I know, I know... 😊

@ Cosimo, is this the information that you were looking for...?

Centimetres???
I’m neither French or a dressmaker.
MM’s or inches thank you.

['Engineers use mm... Ron']..

Engineers use Imperial measurements...:laughing: ....Ian

Have you met any young engineers lately Ian? My middle aged son thought I was talking gibberish when I told him my Wrangler jeans used to cost £1 9s 11d or near enough 30 Bob. Ron :thinking_face:

My M21 used to do an indicated 64. Once the speedo was rebuilt it regularly clocked 81. When I get it back from the menders[again] it will be interesting to see how fast it goes

Well it won't do 81mph without some serious surgery:relaxed: ...My 720cc 'M20' which is standard apart from the capacity boost, changes to gearing and an M21 carb has been clocked by a car at 78mph but frankly there wasn't much, if anything, left performance wise...
Young engineers?...Not many of them about Ron..Apart from the fact our manufacturing base has virtually gone the 'youf' haven't got time to look up from the social media accounts on their phones as they check out their 'today' photos on Tic Toc..:laughing:..Addiction is indeed a terrible thing...Ian.

From someone who uses mm’s and inches, it is surprising how many BSA’s seem to have my creations on them.

Worse so,is the fact I make English parts here in the Antipodes.

Ian Wright
Well it won't do 81mph without some serious surgery:relaxed: ...My 720cc 'M20' which is standard apart from the capacity boost, changes to gearing and an M21 carb has been clocked by a car at 78mph but frankly there wasn't much, if anything, left performance wise...
Young engineers?...Not many of them about Ron..Apart from the fact our manufacturing base has virtually gone the 'youf' haven't got time to look up from the social media accounts on their phones as they check out their 'today' photos on Tic Toc..:laughing:..Addiction is indeed a terrible thing...Ian.
Wow Ian, 78MPH on a 720cc M20, I am very impressed! What gearing were you using?

Jan
Just wondering... Was this information useful?

Jan
@ Cosimo, is this the information that you were looking for...?

I’m afraid that I will have to quote Cicero again…
"Gratia non solum maxima, sed etiam parens omnium virtutum." (Cicero)
Or in Shakespeare's language:
“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”
😟

"Fascinating stuff, this Imperial system... Blame Napoleon and the fact that we have 10 fingers on our hands for the Metric System. Less fun... 😁"

I used to wonder if there was a time when it was common for some people to have 6 fingers and toes on each hand and foot Jan?

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Have a look at this Mark! 😃

'If it ain't broke don't fix it'....Ian

Interesting info Jan. Can anybody explain the discrepancies in the measurements of the left & right turning circle's?

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

Possibly it's because the left fork leg is splayed out for the speedo drive? Ron
Scan-140318-0001

Since about September last year, my Wm20 has been absolutely flying!!! When I take her out I find myself having to concentrate a lot more on holding her back, sport's car's, Honda's, Ducati's even MV Agusta's can't live with my old War horse. But then I do live in Wales and there is a blanket 20mph speed limit. So finally my 13bhp can blow em all away 😂

Thanks Jan, that answers many questions.
Not so good for french relations!

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1