Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L Pin Drive Speedo

Bought this nice pin drive speedo yesterday, and has a G3L bracket on it, 2" c. to c. mounting holes, but the bracket is different to the later ones, those are lighter, and parallel, this one is slightly triangular.

Both speedo and bracket are KG No. 3 with a slight over spray in grey/black in some places, the bracket had been bolted to the speedo with the original matt chrome plated nuts and washers. By all the sand and crud accumulated between the two, it has been together for a very long time!

When dismantling the bracket from the speedo, I was surprised to see a 10-39 date, was expecting more like a 1-41 date!

Now when checking the parts lists, it transpires 2 G3L contracts had S114 speedos, what this one clearly is, these are the first 2 G3L contracts (except the prototype).

So had these bikes the thick rubber covered speedo cable? I had never seen or heard about this, and was a surprise for me!

But it's nice to have confirmation that early G3L's were still KG. NO. 3 coloured.

Or do I have it all wrong, and had other makes of bikes also a bracket like this?

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Re: Matchless G3L Pin Drive Speedo

Looks like a pre war & wartime Triumph bracket, with that colour paint it could be either off a 3SW 5SW or an early 3HW.

Ok, going from memory here, but thought the bracket mounting holes were further apart, like 2,5"- 3" ?? Norton and BSA have 3,5"

If uncle Ron reads this, he might be able to measure!

Thanks,

Lex

Triumph 3HWs fitted with Webb girder forks had that same bracket, but not pin drive speedometers, I would say most probably that it's off a 3SW being pin drive.

i think this speedometer for the norton big4
i have the original one NOS and the bracket also for the g3l

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

Steve is right Lex. Triumph used that shape bracket with 2" centres. Somehow I can't imagine the heavy rubber covered cables for a G3L all the way to the rear wheel?? Ron
DSCF5988
DSCF5990

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS Lex, I'll swap you this standard speedo for that one if you want. Ron:yum:

DSCF3539

Hello Hussein, certainly not for Norton, with that bracket!

Hi Ron, thanks, I was searching for Triumph pictures, and could not find any clear ones, but you and Steve are 100% right!

So Triumph it is, not sure what to do now! but will keep it for now, maybe the first part for a BEF 5SW?? I know where there is one, I restored it 25 years ago!

Cheers,

Lex

That speedo in my second picture is on my 3SW. But it's a standard knurled nut type. Ron

Yes, I see, but have enough of those!

Cheers,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1