Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amal Carburettor for 1940 Norton 16H WD

The carburettor on my 1940 WD Norton has slide/body wear. The slide Dia. is 31.4mm and the tube OD to the head where to carburettor clips on is 28.5mm. The carburettor is marked 011 on the top of the body. I do not know what Model/No. Amal carburettor to look for to replace the one on the bike. Has anyone else come across this Norton/Amal conundrum?

Re: Amal Carburettor for 1940 Norton 16H WD

Hello Geoff

The 276/011 is the version used upto approx 1941, thereafter they changed the identification to 276AE/1BE but not the working configuration.
So any of these will do. New AMAL's are being made.
See https://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/5372

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

I have this NOS 16H carb body 276/406. I've been saving it but I'm never going to need it. £50 plus post if anyone needs it. It's the part you can't buy from Amal. The new slides are available from Amal, Hitchcocks and Surrey Cycles (I use Hitchcocks) Ron

DSCF5953

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Martin Bratby resleeves carb bodies, so whatever you do don't chuck the old body away

The slides are £77 from Amal (Burlens)...I bought one last October......I'm unsure if Martyn is still working as he's had some bad health problems...If he is, expect a long wait for the job. He took 12 months to do the 1000 series Concentric for my Goldie (and that wasn't right at the first attempt)..After a few problems with different refurbished carbs I now buy new ones if they are available (the 1000 Series isn't)..It's approx £460 for a pre monobloc these days so not cheap. Unfortunately, even at that price all the fittings have to be replated in the dull chrome finish if you want it right...They come with them bright nickel plated...
I'd say Ron's NOS carb body, a new slide, needle and needle jet and all the other parts from your existing carb would be the best way to go..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I speak to Martyn occasionally, He doesn't appear to be doing anything at the moment. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think the OP's problem here is that although the body is apparently marked "011", the metric dimensions quoted seem too large for a standard 276 slide and the OD of the stub it fixes to is larger than the Side Valve stub.

Presumably modifications and an OHV engine stub used.

Nieuwe pagina 1