Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wartime Police bikes

The British Police Force has long used motor cycles for various duties, so it has me wondering about the wartime period.

We know that later in the war the Ministry of Supply moved vehicles from department to department in time of need, Ex army C10s for example being moved to the Post Office.

This wartime picture shows BSA C10s, they look to be in pre war civilian markings with the addition of white blackout paint around the edges, are they WC10s, KC10s or earlier?

police-c10

And this M20 or M21 looks like early Military spec, has it been moved from the Army or has it come from a different source?

police-m20

Are there any other wartime Police pictures?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Wartime Police bikes

Rob those C10's are 1940 model WC10's. The wing nut damper on the forks and left side speedo drive gives that away. Ron

DSCF3658-3

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Just had a brief look through the WC10 ledgers and 6 machines were supplid to the Chief Constable, Warwick.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nice ones Rob, I'm just beginning to grasp the incredible variety of parts used for the KC and WC10's, basically totally different models, and different again to the civvy models, and then someone said Matchless was bad!!

OK sorry, rant over! I'll try to find more Police bike pictures.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi@@.net

Lex did I send you my long list of the differences that I've noted between the KC10 and WC10. Yes basically two different models with the KC using pre war parts and the WC using 1940 parts. But at least they were consistent.

My beef with Matchless is some of the weird design features. We all know about the hidden dynamo with two chains rattling around with millimeters to spare. But in all my years of mechanicing I've never come across a vehicle with those nonsense, upside down wheel bearings:persevere:

Hopefully I'll enjoy riding this one though:smile: Ron

BDSCF5901

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here's a G3 or G80, 1939 I think.

Cheers,

Lex

Ah, Ron, yes, got the list, but when looking for parts, you also have to take into account the civvy models, and there are even more differences, nothing consistent, except that it's all a total shambles!

I never fit the dynamo chain, and don't have the worries of exploding primary chaincases while going 80 mph.

Cheers,

Lex

[' I never fit the dynamo chain, and don't have the worries of exploding primary chaincases while going 80 mph...']

It's another story at night though.....:relaxed: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Haha, no worries, with the new Ni-Fe boxes, a reasonably big battery can be fitted inside, and I have this on 2 bikes now, both early ones, and with LED bulbs fitted all around, it gives me hours and hours of superior lights, not for everyone maybe, but suits me, as it will only be to get home from a rally or event.

Cheers,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1