Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Painting the bikes

I see some of the beautifully finished bikes on here and wonder if I have done the right thing with mine.
I have repainted it to look like a 1942 M20 in regular use in WW2.
Although the paint is new, it looks scruffy and well used. I have had comments about it being in 'lovely original' condition.
I often wonder if I should tart it up.
Baz

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

Re: Painting the bikes

My vote is no!

I painted my M20 back in 1988, and I mostly painted it over the multiple layers of paint (OD and Bronze Green) that were already on it. It came directly from a gov't auction, and even the engine cases and transmission were painted-and not very neatly with a brush! It's extremely original and complete, and these days, the paint could pass for WW2 original, but I also look at the gleaming new M20s here and wonder if it's time for a complete restoration.

There's no 'right way'...It's just down to what you like or are happy with...I generally 'over restore' my bikes in the eyes of many and enjoy the few seasons where the bike looks pristine at any event I might attend...Gradually it transitions from immaculate to very good, then well used, looking quite 'original' and finally needing some work to address wear and corrosion...
I guess a new bike lasts for about 15 years of regular all season use and after over 40 years of ownership my M20 has has three rebuilds so about par for the course...I suspect the next rebuild might be someone else's job!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Back in the mid-80's I attended the Vintage Motor Cycle Club's Festival of 1000 Bikes at Brands Hatch with my 1940 WM20. Having been on a long run the week before, the bike was looking well travelled. I returned to it in the afternoon to find a rosette on the handlebars, but no wording on it, I thought someone was taking the mickey and spoke to a marshall. He said you best attend the prize giving .......... I thought here it comes, I get the grotty bike award. To my surprise I was awarded the Most Original Post Vintage, by Titch Allen (who was a DR in WW2). I apologised for the appearance and he told me that is how they should look!

Although things have changed since the 80s....
When I first restored my M20 with correct cadmium plated and dull chrome finishes, new pannier bags, a sprayed paint job etc. etc. (as the factory did) I was generally regarded as having a mental problem spending that much money on 'an old army bike' and it was very rare to see another like it....
Most people only wanted civvy 'classics' at that time in fact....Now, Ex factory type finishes are generally the aim and result of at least 60% of recent restorations I would say....The slap a bit of Nato green about days have gone fortunately (IMO) as the interest in the details of the bikes has grown...Ian

Gents,

Painting quality will be a never ending discussion with many views.
I can definitly enjoy the workmanship and TLC of factory fresh restorations if they are done correctly to the known details.
The real correct restoration would be where different parts are painted with slightly different colours as parts were painted individually prior to assembly and would never all have been painted from the same tin as is done in present restorations.

I think it is "unnatural" for any other "restoration" using mixes of parts from different contracts and times and as such constituting a maintained/rebuilt machine. Those would have been repainted with the colour of the day without all parts being completely stripped of previous layers unless in special workshops.
Apart from that an 80+ old machine can hardly be a factory fresh machine unless it has never been used.

I would say the best paint job is the one where the restorer feels good about, whatever quality or colour.
Nobody living now knows what is was in 1935 to 45! so any discussion is rather theoretical.

I personally like the "dirty" condition most as it represents a machine being used as can be seen in basically all the contemporary pictures.

What is really important is the fun riding a mid to late thirties designed motorcycle with all its quirks and shortcomings.

For what its worth,

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

FWIW I have attended seeral australian disposal sales.
Mostly for B40's but there was one that had 3 m20's, one crated ( went fr a fortune )and 2 as used.
Both of them looked like they had been painted multiple times using broom
crankcases had been silver frosted and frames over painted with at least 3 different kahkis as ther were bits of it on the cases and bits of the silver frost on the frame .
The B40's were either untouched factory enamel , apart from the "uneconomic repair" stencils in yellow of similarly repainted with a broom.

I have thought of a way of achieving a genuine wartime finish.

Rob

brushes

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I agree with Richard Farrant - "lived -in" paintwork wins every time and seems to draw most interest and admiration from the non-afflicted. Even better looking with plenty of mud - mine still has Arromanche sand adhering to its nether regions!

Whereas I like a thorough and complete rebuild including a full respray..That's the winner for me...
After a few years use the bike 'ages' gradually into a more used look in much the same way as a 'new' M20 would have and if adherence to a relatively original looking 'factory' specification is the aim a spray paintjob has to be the way...The factory didn't brush paint them after all...

However, all this is just getting into the never ending debate...Do it how you want and accept there is no 'right' way but a range of alternatives...'My history is more valid than your history' isn't really an arguement that will ever bear fruit.... I'm looking forward to the day when I see a metallic purple M20 chopper built in the 70s and owned by someone who decided that bit of his bikes history had the most validity and was worth preserving...Maybe he will be right and we're all wrong, that 70s chop job would be as much part of the bikes history as it's military service at the end of the day...:laughing: :laughing:..Ian

Rob Miller
I have thought of a way of achieving a genuine wartime finish.

Rob

You are not far off there Rob.

In the 50's I was in REME and for the annual inspections we were given gallon tins of paint and 3" brushes and told to get on with it. QL's, Ford 3 tonners, Land Rovers, bikes, all got the treatment.

This was in the days when all your kit, every last item, including tool boxes had to be laid out on the tarmac square for inspection, regardless of the weather!

Baz

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

Straight from delivery is also a 'genuine wartime finish'...It's a view on the 'ex factory' or 'after some sevice debate' that will probably determine what someone prefers but it's not an historical absolute...
I'm always amazed how proponents of an 'in sevice' look seem to think that adds some kind of 'extra credibility' to a machine...I don't get it, they are all wartime production....I'd like a brand new one out of the crate if they were available and I'd add some 'in service' finish later...Ian

Maybe the best finish, is the owners interpretated look?
And as long as they are happy it would be cruel to belittle their efforts.
M20 purple Chopper, I wonder if a local chap still has it? ;)

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1