Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front brake plate cable fitting missing

Hey all!

My 1942 is very nearly rideable after a lot of work. I have run into one odd issue:

As the front brake cable leaves the brake lever and makes its way to the brake lever, there is typically a threaded fitting that sticks out of the brake plate where the end of the cable housing screws in. This holds the cable housing in place as the cable slides in and out activating the brake lever at the bottom of the brake plate. However, my front brake plate has no such fitting for the end of the cable housing. There isn’t a hole for it either. There isn’t evidence of it being removed and welded over. It appears as though it were never there. I assume this means the front brake plate is not original (this would be no surprise given the state the old girl was in when I got my grubby hands on her for the first time).

I’m seeking any advice on the matter, or any insight from anyone with a similar experience. Should I get a replacement front brake plate? Is there a fitting I can add to the brake plate after drilling a hole?

email (option): Musicalmoses@yahoo.com

Re: Front brake plate cable fitting missing

It might be an early plate for use with the long brake rod?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Moses’
You probably have an early WM20 Brake plate for use with the front brake rod as these had no abutment fitted for a cable, (pre 1940 i think?)
You will probably need a later plate’ there’s plenty of them about,
Hope this helps,
Regards, Tom.

email (option): rustytomm20AThotmail.com

It surely does help! I wasn’t aware of the pre-1940 brake rod. This particular M20 was overhauled at the Rhine Workshop (see the thread about the RW designation) and I’m sure had a lot of things cobbled together to make it work.

This is it Moses. You will also have the redundant fitting on your fork leg. Ron
000-India-Office-BSA-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have to ask:

How hard is it to find that rod?

Roy made some excellent repros. I bought one for my bike. I don't know if he or John O'B still has any? I drilled the cable lug out of my brake plate and filled the hole. Ron
DSCF3627-4

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi
I still have a few rods left but would need to be sure if the forks are the early short type or the later / mid 41 longer versions
Best bet is to find a later plate with the cable stop / adjuster on it
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

These forks were extended and turned into chopper forks once upon a time, and were converted back to original in the 1980’s. It’s extremely unlikely that it would match up with either of those lengths. Looks like I will need to find a new brake plate.

Nieuwe pagina 1