Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JB Weld

The engaging pin on an otherwise good valve lifter unit has worn or been filed down to the point where it no longer works. I've arranged to get the pin built up with weld & file it down to suit.
To prove the idea I've temporarily built the pin up with JB Weld. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be OK to briefly use, or even start the bike like this?

Re: JB Weld

This would be less trouble Bob.

https://pesltd.uk/?product=66-1435

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

[Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be OK to briefly use, or even start the bike like this? ...]

I wouldn't consider that a viable repair and don't really see the point of a temporary repair...Actual welding may serve to produce a workable solution but there may be implications with applying that much heat...What Mark has for sale seems like the best way to go at a reasonable price...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the quick replies.
The idea of using the JB Weld was simply to make sure the new profile of the lifter peg works. It does, but I don't intend to put the JB into actual service as I wouldn't trust it. The idea is to remove it & have the profile built up with welding. I take your points about expense & possible heat damage.

But Bob, why would you bother? When you can buy a properly made new one for probably much les than it will cost to get yours repaired? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Fair question Ron.
I do have a new unit.But the valve seat's pocketed & the lifter peg strikes the tappet. As compression's good & the valve's in otherwise good condition it'll stay that way until the seat's replaced.
So the idea of using the old stuff was simply to avoid carving up the new one.
But it did all seem like a lot of work & expense, so since the parts are available I've taken a bit off the new unit to make it fit.
It'll hopefully be good enough when the seat's done, otherwise another will have to be bought.

Bob I've also had to grind a bit off the peg for a pocketed exhaust valve on a friends bike. Not one of BSA's best ideas! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1