Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1944 Triumph 3HW Frame & Engine No. Research

Hi folks,
Can anyone please tell me more about a 3HW built in 1944. The frame number is TL 49441. Census number believed to be C5569941 (?). Contract S5340.
Apparently it was dispatched to Littlewoods in Liverpool in September 1944. What would it have been doing there?
Apparently this was a postal censorship department building during the war, and later an aircraft parts factory, amongst other things. I’d like to know what purpose the bike served during the war - or was it in storage for the remainder?

I’m told that after the war the bike was bought back by Triumph, (repaired?) and then sold to India (presumably for military use?) It came back to the UK in the 90’s and now has another engine fitted (3HW 47862, made 1943, contract S1246) which has Greek markings - a crown and “880 H”. (Any info on this please?).

Is any more information available please?

Thanks

email (option): NLJB345@hotmail.com

Re: 1944 Triumph 3HW Frame & Engine No. Research

Same contract as mine, also repatriated from India. I calculate your census number as what you said C5569941. These bikes had the steering damper deleted and were fitted with 7/8" handlebar and the standardised Amal controls. On the lug on the saddle tube under the saddle should be a date when the frame was made ie TEC (Triumph Engineering Co) 8.44. Littlewoods was just a holding area, like the Mars factory in Slough.
I can't imagine why they would have gone back to the factory? By this time they would have had little use if any anyway. It looks to me like they might have been shipped directly from the holding area in Liverpool? I guess this is all we'll ever know about our bikes. Ron

DSCF5828
DSCF5829
a-Cjj-Nx0-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for reply Ron.
I like your desert finish. Did any 1944 3HW’s go to the desert?

I was told they went back to the factory after the war to be “tarted up”. I don’t know if that means civilianised or just cleaned up, repaired etc. So not sure if they were sold to India for military use or as civilian bikes.
Can anyone confirm?
Thanks

email (option): NLJB345@hotmail.com

The desert scheme was purely artistic licence on my part. I just wanted something different amongst the green and brown.

Royal Enfield certainly had a return to factory and refurb for the post war civilian market. I've not read that Triumph did this and as far as I know, all models for 1946 were twin cylinder tele fork bikes. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1