Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No. 10 REME Auxiliary Workshop JLO Factory Hamburg.

Ian already showed one picture but there the whole series, not only BSA, but Ariel, Matchless and Norton engines can be seen too, plus Lucas dynamo's.

Not sure where I got the pictures from, but somewhere on the net.

Cheers,

Lex

PS, a Matchless G3WO engine casing with a JLO stamp also attached.

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Re: No. 10 REME Auxiliary Workshop JLO Factory Hamburg.

Nice thank you for sharing them, does the Matchless appear in the keycards, does it have a rebuild serial?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob,

You mean from the engine casings? I forgot, will check again though!

There are more markings on the casings, will post those too.

Cheers,

Lex

I have a pair of 1939 WD16H cases with a JLO stamp. They must have been around a bit by that point.

M74-W4187

Nice on Rich, could be one in the pictures!!

Here the other pictures of the G3WO cases I have.

Cheers,

Lex

Anyone can make some more sense from the numbers??

I used to work with a chap called Ron Kitt from Witney in Oxfordshire - he was an NCO in the British Army and was in charge of a section of workers at the JLO factory after the war (1945-46 I think) who overhauled the M20 engines.
At the time I knew him he lent me 5 or 6 photos, most of which can be seen on this thread of the process of stripping and rebuilding the M20 engines. One of the photos (not shown above) showed each engine being assembled on a wheeled frame which moved on a track around a bench and was passed on to the next worker for more parts to be fitted. There may have been another pic not shown above but from memory I can't be sure.
I had the pics published in the BSA owners club magazine sometime around 1990. I found them not too long ago in the back issues of "The Star" on the BSAOC website.
Rupert.

Hello Rupert,

That's very interesting additional information, would you still have the pictures or scans? like to make my file complete if possible.

Cheers,

Lex

Rob Miller
Nice thank you for sharing them, does the Matchless appear in the keycards, does it have a rebuild serial?

Rob
Rob, as I only have the cases, and no frame, so I have calculated the frame number from O&M, contract C6094. (OK Jan pointed out, that this is a non matching frame and engine number contract, and it's impossible to know the frame number, but anyway, nice try)

This might have been 5687, this is indeed in the cards (KC56b) and has the rebuilt number C1413342, but struck off at Melksham on 17-2-1958. A lot of G3WO's in this range are in the cards.

Would have expected B.A.O.R. but depending on the rebuild date, it could have gone anywhere after the rebuild.

Cheers,

Lex

Quote (Alex Schmidt): Anyone can make some more sense from the numbers??

Yes, sure! The LV7 40 G3 looks like the ID number of a spare engine, as in the James and Flea pictures below:

And the B189 MS114 means that this engine was overhauled in the Ministry of Supply workshop B189 in November 1944. Here's an October '44 and a December '44 marking from the same B189 workshop:

I'm defeated by the MC E701 and the 11 markings though...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks Jan! I got as far as the spare engine number, but as you say it, the JLO rebuild was the second one? the date of November 1944, would be impossible for the JLO factory to been working for the allies! Battle for Hamburg was from the 18th. of April to the 3rd. of May 1945.

Very interesting!

Cheers,

Lex

I second that Lex.

Just noticed that I only had Norton engines that were rebuilt by B189 workshop. (Until your Matchless engine turned up...) And every Norton block has been stamped with the same number 3787 close to the B189 number. Could this be the code number for a 16H engine I wonder? In that case the E701 could be a Matchless code...? Just a thought...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

B189 with a date.

Rob

B189-2

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Ariel WNG engine with B189

WNG-crankcase-WD-codes-1

Jan, as per the brass plate on the "AS" spare engines, 3787 was indeed the Norton part number for a spare engine, complete with Magdyno and carb. A bit odd really as the Magdyno was just dangling there with no engine plates fitted!

C-5612-p-18-19-2

another WNG from ILO

AGM-DS-2018-4

They also must have overhauled Triumph 3hw engines, there's a pile of cylinder heads on a work bench in one of the photos.

Yes, I see that now! interesting, wish I knew from what date this series of pictures were!

Cheers,

Lex

Online sources state that production of their own engines was not permitted until 1947 but that their workshops were used by the occupying forces. Presumably the photos pre-date the resumption of new production.

There is a Record vice in one of the photos, so presumably a certain amount of REME equipment there.

Sorry, no, I'don't have the photos I originally borrowed.
I'll try to find them again on the BSA owners club site and let you know where they can be found. Ron Kitt who I originally borrowed the photos from had them from the time he worked at the JLO factory, and he brought them home with him which was in mid 1946, so the photos must pre-date that.

Rupert.

Yes, Rik, I read that also, nice to have confirmation from Rupert too! Thanks a lot! maybe you can find the missing picture(s)

Cheers,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1