Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Black out mask mystery?

Was looking through the thousands of photos stored on my laptop and came across these from over six years ago,never seen one like this before,had a quick look in various parts books but nothing came up,looks like a Norton that its fitted to on the photos.

Re: Black out mask mystery?

March 1945 onwards Steve... The war in Europe was almost over by then.

Motor-Cycle-5-3-45-Headlamp

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi Jan, I've got one of those for my 1945 3HW,but the mystery one hasn't got the glass, with the flap folded down it appears to be amber, when lifted it's clear.

Hadn't noticed this difference Steve... But the mystery mask seems to be a variation on the same theme.

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I have those late type BO masks on my Tilly and Morris Commercial. Mine were made by Butler and don't have the additional lens in the flap. You can at least use these at night with a degree of illumination. Ron
Tilly-09-034

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, yours on the Tilly have a smaller diameter, and won't fit a Lucas headlamp, but the idea is the same.

The on fitted on the 16H must be modified, and welded in? I think I can see a little weld where the glass was.

Here's mine.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

That's right Lex. The British army seemed to often fit the old Butler tractor lamps. They even went as far as changing the nice sealed beam headlamps in Jeeps in favour of the Butler lamps. Simply I guess so that the standard bulbs could be used. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The one in Steve's original post is odd, with the flap up you would loose most of the light from under the hood.

It could be a parking light, or perhaps someone has put the flap from a later mask onto an early one for some reason?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I picked up several of those half moon glasses some years ago - always wondered how they were used - mystery now solved - thank you.

email (option): keithchandler49@outlook.com

Nieuwe pagina 1