Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last call...

This is a last call for any recommendations as to where I can get dull chrome done correctly....

Having already had all my M20 parts done twice to a poor standard I've pretty much lost confidence in chrome platers...I have found somewhere that say they can do it correctly and their sample looks OK...Hopefully the whole batch will be as good as I've been quoted £450-500 plus vat for everything off the bike and a couple of spare pieces...:grimacing: .Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Last call...

Try these people Ian,

I have had problems with them, but they seem to be getting their act together.
Remember it's the north of England and they don't speak English!
They think a micron is the same as a millimeter as well!
The last frame they did for me was excellent.

Silchrome Plating Ltd.
Barras Garth Rd,
Leeds,
West Yorkshire
LS12 4JW

E-mail: sales@silchrome.co.uk

Telephone: 0113 263 7808

Fax: 0113 263 2382

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

What finish were they doing for you and what were the problems?....Ian

Hi Ian,

Can you share the platers you've found? I'm looking to get my parts done over the winter. Happy to take recommendations...

email (option): cmmacd @hotmail.co.uk

Must be about 10 years ago now Ian,
It was Nickel Chrome.
As with most platers, they never wash the plating solution out completely.
Anita comes in rather upset as says "I've washed the chrome off"
I didn't believe her, but no. There was the finest chrome foil everywhere.
The replate was the best I've seen them do.
It looked like electroless Nickle was used for the strike coat as it had overall coverage.

There Anodizing is good, but they have no concept of what hard anodizing is.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Never used them myself, but Quality Chrome seems to be consistent recommended among the motorcycling fraternity. No idea if they do variations on chroming though. https://www.qualitychrome.co.uk/index.php

Thanks Mark...

Ferg...Quality Chrome don't list dull, satin or matt chrome as a service and don't show any in their gallery...

Craig...['Can you share the platers you've found? I'm looking to get my parts done over the winter. Happy to take recommendations...']...

It looks like I'll be using the company I have found...Note that I am after a completely dull and consistently even finish, ie. not satin chrome, not brushed chrome, no 'bright' spots etc...
I won't recommend anyone untried but I plan to post the parts off this week and will share the results here when the parts are returned...Lead time is theoretically 6-8 weeks from reciept of parts but we'll see...I've heard it all before...
As stated in my previous post I've completely lost faith in any platers ability to produce a dull chrome finish correctly having had all my parts plated twice already by people who claimed to be able to do the job but couldn't...Hopefully I won't be p*****g £450-500 plus vat up the wall this time......Ian

Hi Ian
I can send you on photos or bring examples of what I had done at Marque restore in Coventry to shepton

You can view & make you mind up before you spend

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

There is these folk. No idea what they are like though..... https://www.jacksonplating.co.uk/dull-chrome-plating.php

Hi John...That would be very helpful...There's nothing like seeing it....Ian

I have used Marque Restore as well. Great finish, terrible at communicating. It is very difficult getting hold of them. Visiting them was the best option. Maybe John has better experiences with communication than I had. Haven't used them for 2 years now.

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

Hi Ian, personally I have always used Hockley Polishing-
https://www.hockleyenterprises.co.uk/
I've always had good results from them. The dull chrome on my M20 was done back in the early nineties and it still cleans up very well.
Cheers. Mick.

email (option): 1963mickholmes@gmail.com

Hi Leon
Having had some email issues - I started to communicate with the lady there via watsapp
After this - responses were rapid & informative
She doesn’t work full time there so once I knew this & had established contact with her - I was happy with comms from there on
Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1