Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C number

hi again , i wonder if anyone can help trying to find the correct c number for my bsa wm20 bike and year , many thanks Pete

email (option): 2e0prp@gmail.com

Re: C number

Yes we can
Rob

Yes, send Rob or me the frame number.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

We can tell you a lot more than only the C number, but obviously we'll need the frame / engine number...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Peter has sent me the numbers of his bike: frame number WM20.26181 and engine number WM20.96341.

The frame (WM20.26181) was despatched from the BSA factory in September 1940. It was part of military contract C/7287, which was a contract for 17.000 motorcycles. The census number was C4342773. Here's a picture with a close number:

C4342237

At some time during the war this bike underwent a “major rebuild”, where frames and engines were all mixed up. And because of that, these “rebuilt" bikes received a new census number. Peter's bike (or Peter's frame to be precise) was now wearing census number C1451460. Here’s a picture of a civilian workshop (George McLean’s workshop) that undertook “major rebuilds” for the Army. See the BSA in front, with another "rebuilt" number (C1461573):

C1461573-George-Mclean-s-Workforce-Ward-Road-Dundee-1943-G19

After the war Peter's bike (or Peter's frame to be precise) served in the BAOR, where the war time census number (C1451460 by now) was replaced by the post war reg. number 18YE52. Here's a BAOR picture with a close reg nr:

14YE74

The information above comes from the KeyCards. Please contact Lex (who’s the custodian of these cards) for a hi-res scan of this card. It is part of your bike's history.

Peter's engine (with duplicated frame number WM20.96341) comes from contract S/1048. This was a contract for 15.000 bikes. Production started in early June 1943, at 2.000 bikes per month. Peter's bike (or Peter's engine to be precise) was made in April 1944. This engine may have ended up in the above frame during the war time "major rebuild", but it may also have been fitted to this frame during the BAOR period.

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

It's amazing that so much information can be found out about a bike Jan.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

good morning Jan , thank you so much for the information about my bike , i was so pleased about it now i can add it to it`s folder , i would have liked to get it to Normandy nexy year but will see how things go . i do have another bsa wm20 but i will just tiding in up a bit and will be concacting you a little later to find out the history about that one , once again thank you so much and the BSA Forum

email (option): 2e0prp@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1