Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: LED headlight flickering

Not with the latest iterations, they give a beam

email (option): jeremy@clogmaker.co.uk

I run led lamps, DVR reg 12v -ve earth on my M20 with no perceptable flicker.

I is hard to find a good LED globe with a 6 V + ground system
Even if you sawp it to - ground most give a very poor headlight.
Stop / tails are great but headlights are crap
This is because the LED is flat & has a beam spread of 100 to 170 degrees
A tungsten eement has a beam spread of 360 deg
So an single element LED can only use slightly less than 1/2 the reflector
Most of them use 2 high energy LEDs, one for the low and both for the high
It is near impossible to correctly position them in our reflectors so both the H & L are focused properly in the reflector
And beecause each element uses around 1/3 of the reflector you end up with a laying down D shaped low beam and a sort of figure * high beam with dark patches at either sides, good for approaching traffic but not much help if you can not see the edge of the road.
12 V globes are 200% better as most use 2 chips for each beam arranged in a V for the high & inverted V for the low
These give the best light but you get overlap from the chips both sides
Not a problem in OZ but a big one in the UK & EU where they test with a beam setter as the overlap on the on comming side is quite dazzeling
The other options are the multi element acorn style globes with a resistor so you get the same beam spread H & L just more light on H
The third style has a single CREE chip behind a lense I use a blinker x

These tend to gice a pencit type of light that again does not change the beam spread H to L just the intensity
I found these were the only style that gives off enough light to ride faster than a walking pace but do not give a wide enough beam
The solution for me was to put an acorn style globe in the parking holder and wire the bike so it stayed on when I went to H or L
I use a Miller blinker / horn switch to switch from H-P-L and the original switch for off tail only tail + parking & head light .
Not original of course but nothing else is and I ride this bike day or night .
The tail only is good for times if the battery is going flat and the dynamo is not working ( thanks to the sh#! Wassel regulator )

Despite saying above that the M20 led doesn't flicker I noticed flicker on the BSA A10 led headlamp last night which got me thinking about Critical Flicker Fusion. We all vary in our sensitivity to percieving flicker (flicker threshold) as individuals and within ourselves for various reasons (fatigue, region of field of view, or health). For a review see...... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8537539/.

Nieuwe pagina 1