Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Olds dogs at Tiernans

Anyone outhere bought these old dogs from Tiernans ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOUVBXJCGFU

Re: Olds dogs at Tiernans

The first one in the row, has been sold, as I got an inquiry about the numbers.

Nice find!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net

Andy talking on the video says they are all sold. Two went to a dealer. Stuart? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, gone to Stuart Bray for breaking i believe.

It's a shame if that's the case...They were all quite restorable and original...Too good for the breakers IMO...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

On the other hand, they won't go in the crusher, and they will enable the restoration of a considerable number of bikes. It was only the dismantling of machines in the past that enabled the hobby.

The bike that has been sold complete was apparently a 1970 demob, so rather than original spec, these were the latest of the last surviving post-war rebuilt bikes, complete with Armitage Shanks fuel filler caps etc.

It might be better if they had been the basis of a restoration rather than the people who start with just a bare frame, but at the £6000 price I saw mentioned, they weren't entry-level project starter kits.

It was myself that bought the one WM20 that didnt get broken up. Shes now running with new piston and rebore from Dave Hopwood plus just about everything that was consumable has also been changed. Shes now a first kick starter and needs a few bits to finish her off. Im waiting for the V5 or inspection request to come through. She looks almost exactly as she did at Andy Tiernans on the day she arrived apart from new rubber and a jetwash then a liberal soaking in oil. Apart from the siezed motor caused by some animal in REME back in the 50s everything seems in remarkable condition. We will see once i can legally ride it.

email (option): steve@southernductworkservices.co.uk

Good man...Personally I'm glad one of them escaped the breakers....

The fact is the greedy dealers are pricing rebuild projects too highly to make them financially viable for the average Joe..That though, has been the situation for a long time....I've long understood, from practical experience, that most rebuild projects are overpriced and the finished bikes are undervalued...This leads to the sad (IMO) situation that the only way it works to make an actual profit is to break the machines and charge top dollar for everything...
The average restorer generally doesn't account accurately for the true, fully inclusive cost of a rebuild...If they did they would scare themselves...I think most sellers of restored bikes rarely recoupe their costs if they have done the job thoroughly and correctly....Ian

Hi Steven, well done for putting another M20 back on the road, I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Not sure about your opinion of the REME however, there is as good an argument that they won the war for us as there is for many other aspects of HM forces and you will find several ex members of that elite formation in this hobby too.:smiley:

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Sorry its an Army thing, Im ex Royal Engineers so all other units are animals, barely even human lol. Im sure other ex squaddies will agree!

email (option): steve@southernductworkservices.co.uk

I heard the Royal Army Catering Corps being desribed as an elite unit recently, and several of them did land at Arnhem, but it may be the case that you really wouldn't want to upset them.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Andy Cap's Commandos

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

' Give me another dollop of elite mashed potato'....:laughing: ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1