Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The riddle of the sprocket and chain

I stopped to help someone in Normandy who had broken his rear chain, he had a new chain with him that wouldn't fit, the rear wheel had a 400x19 tyre so was hitting the mudguard in either direction before all the adjustment could be used, I had half links for both chains with me and managed to get him going again.

Another possible problem could be the sliding plate in the back of the primary chain case, is it moving to its full extent?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks all,

Here are some pics to try and explain it better. My rear tire size is 3.50x19, and the rear chain is really loose as not fitted it on correctly yet.

With the outer case and sprocket not fitting the chain, this might be connected.

20230511-211150
20230511-211200
20230511-211234
20230512-092655

email (option): dannyburt152@gmail.com

Indian Pattern parts?
I got a 16H field stand from India, an inch or two short......

email (option): jeremy@clogmaker.co.uk

There were different primary chain covers for different models, maybe one half is from a "C" range machine?

Rob

Rob,

You go top of the class, I scraped back the paint to see the part number, and looking at the forum posts, I found the following info that it's for a B series. There is very little difference. Alittle red faced.

Thank you for everyone's help. I will pop down a mates on Monday to see if he has the correct part.

The issue you mention Rob with the chain, is that common 1/2 a link?

Thanks

Danny

I have often found 1/2 links to be needed, and new chains stretch after you fit them so sometimes you need to tinker again quite soon after you fit a new one.

Rob

Great, thanks Rob.

Regardless of any wear issues requiring a half link, they are generally called for if altering gearing by one tooth on the sprocket.

If using, there is a correct way round to fit them.

Yes, B or C outercover, now we know you can also easily spot the shallow clutch dome. :upside_down_face:

I have learned the hard way, indeed!

Thanks again guys.

Did you solve it?

I have exactly the same problem. My primary chain is 4mm too short with the gearbox all the way forward.

Did you use a 1/2 link?

email (option): darrylgubbels@gmail.com

Is the standard chain length not shown in the workshop manual ? WD Nortons with 18t engine and 42t clutch ran a 74 link primary...but every Renold chain spare parts tin included cranked half links. If you use one though, fit in the correct direction (so that it pulls together rather than apart).

Yes Rik. The standard WD 19T engine sprocket was fitted with a 69 link primary chain. Since I upgraded my engine to 600cc, I fitted a 20T sprocket and a 70 link chain. A 21T sprocket would require a 71 link chain.

I tried a 21T sprocket but found it to tall for my liking, so went back to the 20T. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1