Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tank Number and identification

I provides some photos here:
https://ibb.co/album/Fs6mPB

email (option): Tomekk-13@web.de

Both frame and engine were delivered under the same contract for 17000 machines which was numbered C7287. Deliveries commenced in August 1940 and this was the large contract intended to replace the losses in France in May / June 1940.

Frame WM20 37684 carried the WD serial (census) number C4354276 and engine WM20 37853 was fitted in a matching-numbered frame with serial number C4354445.

The original colour would have been Khaki Green No.3. The gloss bronze green is a post-war colour. The plate on the engine indicates that the bike recieved a full rebuild at a Southern Command Workshop during 1954. Gloss green was the standard colour then and parts were refinished as new...it's likely that they were fully paint-stripped etc. and numerous new parts fitted.

These are images from Henk's file of a bike between your two numbers.

010-C4354358

host picture

011-C4354358

Rik
Both frame and engine were delivered under the same contract for 17000 machines which was numbered C7287. Deliveries commenced in August 1940 and this was the large contract intended to replace the losses in France in May / June 1940.

Frame WM20 37684 carried the WD serial (census) number C4354276 and engine WM20 37853 was fitted in a matching-numbered frame with serial number C4354445.

The original colour would have been Khaki Green No.3. The gloss bronze green is a post-war colour. The plate on the engine indicates that the bike recieved a full rebuild at a Southern Command Workshop during 1954. Gloss green was the standard colour then and parts were refinished as new...it's likely that they were fully paint-stripped etc. and numerous new parts fitted.

These are images from Henk's file of a bike between your two numbers.

host picture

Rik, that is strange, as both numbers aren't in the Key Cards, and when rebuilt in 1954, they should be?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net

Here's another "close" number. Lots of details in this picture:
C4355691-2

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Wow, thanks for the fast response! You guys are amazing!
The photos are fantastic!

I‘m so happy to finally know the correct C-Number.

If the rebuilt in 54 included the paintstrip and additional parts, it would explain why I have the pillion seat and large pannier bags mounted aswell.

I could not find any signs of insignia, due to previews partial paintstrips and paintjobs.
Is there any chance to find out, where the bike has been shipped to? When did it leave the factory (date of prduction) or which unit it served with?

I‘d love to add unit related insignia on the tank besides the bsa logo and c-number aswell.

Kind regards from Hamburg
Thomas

email (option): Tomekk-13@web.de

Regrettably, no chance of tracing wartime history. If a vehicle appears in the post-war cards, it sometimes shows the last location / user. These were pencilled though and then erased after a change.

There is an article on the Norton site which describes what records once existed.

https://www.wdnorton.nl/Individual_motorcycle_history.htm

Nieuwe pagina 1