Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New C/B/M oil pump

A lot of the leaking back is caused by excessive spindle clearance Ian.
Remember in a roller bearing application it's just a circulating pump.

Sorry I didn't make any notes on the previous pump as it was so bad I didn't think it was worth it.
There has been a new batch made and I will buy some for curiosity.

As I have already made a large investment in these I will continue.
At least I know these will be fit for purpose and more.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

['At least I know these will be fit for purpose and more...']

I'm sorry, but the Wassels pumps are plainly fit for purpose as they are already in service and working successfully in multiple engines...

Whilst I accept you feel you are going to produce a better product, that doesn't mean everything that came previously isn't fit for purpose...
There are also many BSAs running around with worn and corroded original pumps (the majority in fact) that are still working despite being decades beyond their designed lifespan and not operating at 100%...

I regard the Wassels pumps as a viable upgrade from a worn original and I've yet to see any hard evidence to the contrary...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I look forward to seeing the new improved pumps then Ian.

The prewar pumps also did not have the ball valve in the bottomplate, so the bottomvalve looks not strickly needed for the oil supply

Not sure, but I while ago I came to the conclusion that it is there to keep the returngears primed with oil so that it directly starts pumping when engine is running.

In theory, when no bottom valve is fitted, the returnline including the gears will drain and run dry when started again, consequently create no or very little suction untill the oillevel in the crankcase reaches the gears.

BR Michiel

Mark,

I think you are looking for a solution for a problem that does not exist. The factory BSA pump in my bike was in very bad condition when I got the bike. And yet after many years still had it's original big end bearing which has no measurable wear.

I have a complete machine shop at home and could have made a new pump and intended to until Wassell decided to make new pumps. Is the pump the best that could have been made, no, I can do better machine work than them but I am not working to a price point. Wassell says the pump body is made from cast iron but it looks like mild steel to me. As for the gears, I would have heat treated them to be harder than what they did and yes the gear shafts should have been ground. And the end plates should have been made out of a different material.

If your pump which I am sure will be better made than Wassell can be sold at a similar price, you will put them out of business. Now a pump that sells for £500 is not going to have many sold unless you sell it to Goldstar owners as they will pay any price.

Having read many of your posts, you certainly know what you are doing and had you been making pumps back when I bought my Wassell pump, I would have bought your pump instead. The lack of the ball check valve is certainly an issue with the Wassell as the bike is going to wet sump from sitting which mine does. So I may be one of the first customers for your new pump.

As Ian has stated, there are many bikes with the Wassell pump on the road and it works! The Wassell pump in my bike has thousands of miles without issue and is definitely better than what BSA made.

Anyway I await to see what you come up with.

I will shut up for now. I have another hour sitting by the heat treat oven at midnight to quench a big end pin for a 1929 AJS. No parts are available so have to make everything.

Bruce, Ian,
I have a pump in my now grubby hands and they have indeed improved.
To a point where I'm happy not to issue a warning about them.
As mentioned the shafts being turned rather than ground.
On modern machinery it's possible to eliminate grinding with some jobs.
The only comments I would make is that I found the gears not concentric to the shafts,
but only by a small amount.
Not enough for me to make mandrels to put them on the gear tester.
Another thing to remember and the same with the original pumps,
careful assembly is required for the gears to turn freely.

What am I doing different?
I'm changing the shaft and gear design to one that is more in common with the last pumps produced by BSA.
Also I hope to improve the ease of assembly.
If it looks ok when done there will also be a shaft seal to help with draining back when stored.
This is not a new project, sadly one shelved along time ago.
Once completed it also allows for a competition version to be made with ease.
How will it be priced, sorry it will have to be a little more than the Wassell pumps we sell due to expectations.

Mark

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts...I bought an ABSAF high capacity pump for my Goldie so for me it's not all about price...I currently have a project underway which might benefit from a higher spec. pump....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Presumably it's the case with most manufacturers using similar bottom-ends and identical oil pumps on their roller-bearing SV and OHV engines, that the SVs can cope quite well with a pump that might be less than optimal in terms of delivery ?

Nieuwe pagina 1