Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine sprocket

I had a near disaster on the maiden voyage of the new to me M20. About 6 miles out on the ride, a terrible grinding sound from the primary chain case got me to the side of the road. After trucking her home and getting the outer chain case off, I discovered that 2 of the engine sprocket bolts had worked themselves out and got tangled in the chain and knocked the chain off the rear sprocket. I have since learned that those bolts were supposed to be safety wired (which they weren't). The bolts are unusable and I have been unable to find some nor do I know what size and thread pitch they are. Information on the size and vendor for these would be greatly appreciated. I also remember seeing a photo of the correct safety wiring of these bolts but I can't seem to find it.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Barry

Re: Engine sprocket

Those are 5/16 Whitworth bolts (sets). If the heads are drilled through with a small hole, just go through each hole with tying wire and twist the ends together with a pair of pliers. Ron

PS Drags list them with a picture and size but "low stock" means they haven't got any and not worth back ordering.
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/74310/chaincase-securing-bolt-516-x-whit-x-58/#66-7550

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks much Ron. They list a 7/8 bolt. Is that too long? Also, I found a 5/16 26 TPI here in the States. Is that the right pitch?
Thanks Again

No 5/16 Whitworth is very course 18 tpi. I didn't realize you're in USA. Any length set can be cut down to 5/8" Ron

Ron is right about cutdown.but dont forget that it should be a full threaded bolt...

A fully threaded bolt is called a 'set screw'....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes I did mention "sets" in both my posts. I probably should have explained it better. Ron

Thanks everyone for replies. I had some 5/16 x 18 bolts that I cut down, and drilled a hole in the head. Made up a new gasket and installed the inner chaincase complete with safety wire. I think I’ Replace the clutch rollers while I have it apart. Don’t know why the parts book doesn’t specify bolt sizes but that’s the way it is. Thanks again.
Barry

Nieuwe pagina 1