The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Petrol tank cap gasket

I use a couple of things depending upon what is available at the time
The absolute best was 75% teflon sheeting which is a foam. slightly harder than a thong rubber ( the ones under your feet for those with funny minds ) which I used to get scrap fom a local factory
Next was cotton insertion buytl rubber , but it too comes in a couple of densities and it must say "petrol safe " or something similar

Down here you can not use cork sheeting unless it is whole cork because the solvents that get put in out fuels ( which are nothing like petrol ) attack the glues used on ground cork sheeting even buytl cork sheeting and they crumble away after a time .

I got mine from Dave Plum , made from leather !

email (option): ianacott@hotmail.com

I found leather to provide the best result after trying various other materials....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Looks like I will be using leather, Dave is going to make me some.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

As some mentioned here..a piece about 3mm thick leather does give the best results

I am using a viton flat flange gasket ring and this is working well for many years already. Leather dries out in months and cork shrinks quickly is my experience. Really happy with viton and can recommend.
In NL we can buy these at technirub.nl at 6 or 7 euro a piece.

email (option): Patrick.vandertier at gmail.co

I've just had a quote Patrick for making them in Viton rubber,
I would have to sell them at £10.00 each to make it worth while.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Yes that Viton is very expensive stuff. I bought a small square last year to replace petrol tank corks. Yikes!

But as the saying goes. "The cost is forgotten long after the quality is felt"

Ron

PS I was holding and selling stuff for the late Rob Nortier, which included a load of his leather, oil and petrol cap washers. Dave Plumb has that stock now.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It's a shame about Rob, Ron.
He'd asked me if I'd reproduce his parts in the UK, and said there was some stock here that would be sent to me.

Mark

Mark it would be handy for lots of guys to be able to purchase these tools again. I sold out of clutch nut sockets before I passed the rest to Dave. Which was unfortunate for me as I broke one of the castellated teeth off mine and had to get the castellation's re cut by a local engineer. It works just the same but is about 1/4" shorter now. Otherwise I have all the tools if you want to borrow them. Ron

Scan-20240208
Scan-20240208-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the offer Ron, but I think it would be easier to change the designs to suit my machines.
Though readily available, I will make the nuts as well to ensure a good fit.
The nuts will last longer being make from better materials.

Off topic Ron, or anyone else for that matter.
I'm looking to borrow an excellent condition or NOS 66-6096 adjuster cam.

Mark

Nieuwe pagina 1