Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M01L magneto help.

Trying to rebuild a magneto. Does anyone sell a tool to remove the slip-ring.
Can you pull the slip-ring and the bearings at the same time?
If not is there a bearing tool?
This mag has seen some hard times in the past.
Thanks

email (option): Cbfatboyhaws@gmail.com

Re: M01L magneto help.

I will shortly be doing the very same thing Charlie.
I think it would be "best policy" to pull each off independently.

I found the Machine Mart 25mm internal bearing puller worked after removing the excess paper with a scalpel.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

For the bearings you will need a puller. I have the ones made by Lucas for the job but other types may work. As for the slip ring, DO NOT USE ANY TOOLS AT ALL. Do not be tempted to use a screwdriver to pry it off. Use only you hands or the slip ring is guaranteed to break. If it has never been off it will be stuck to the armature. Wiggle it back and forth with your hands until it comes loose. You can now slide it off. The high tension wire will probably have some glue holding it in to the slip ring.

These are the Lucas made magneto bearing pullers if some one wants to copy them. A friend of mine received these when he went to the Lucas Service School in England back in 1948.

Lucas-bearing-puller

Thanks Mark and Bruce,
I managed to get the ball bearing part off. The magnets hold the on. Learning as I go.
Boy oh boy would I like to have one of those bearing race pullers.
I could not find the tool Mark suggested.
This mag was/is a mess. It has desert paint on it and I think it has not been apart since WWII.
Rust, old grease that even gasoline had a hard time. I have cleaned everything, try to remove as much rust as I could off the magnets.
Before I started it had a faint spark. The plan is to now resemble and access the spark. If it is strong I will dissemble and change out the bearings and races.
Thanks

email (option): Cbfatboyhaws@gmail.com

I'm quite sure by now that the armature will need a re-wind and new condenser. It might well have a spark, but they often let you down as they warm up. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1