Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clutch spring compressor

Never had a problem with stuck plates using Triumph clutches, might be choice of oil? I always use ATF but admit there is a small graunching sound when you engage first gear from cold if you dont free off clutch. Most M20/21 owners I know use the back of their heels to engage first gear whatever the clutch they are using anyway...

['Most M20/21 owners I know use the back of their heels to engage first gear whatever the clutch they are using anyway...']

Not uncommon as I've found it takes some study, practice and a degree of determination to get the M20 box to work 'normally'...:laughing:

Useful tip wth the ATF...I'll give that a try....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

As for the quality of new Triumph clutch parts, they can range from absolute junk to very nice. I have a few pre-unit Triumph's all with factory clutches that all work very good (no reproduction parts). When gathering clutch parts to fit one to my M21 I looked at clutch chain wheels made in India, Taiwan, USA and two different ones made in the UK.

India - horrible, poor machining and the steel was very soft.

Taiwan - not too bad and probably would have worked OK.

USA - also OK but no idea who made it.

UK - says it was made in the UK but I doubt it. Almost as bad as the India clutch and I suspect this one was made there also.

UK - LF Harris clutch. Looked well made and the steel was hardened. Much better than all the others and what I am running in my M21.

'[..UK - LF Harris clutch. Looked well made and the steel was hardened. Much better than all the others and what I am running in my M21...']

I always choose LF Harris parts...They are well made and they are working from the original factory drawings...Les Harris acquired a full set of these back to the mid 40's when he had the license from Tony Bloor to build the T140 Bonneville...I used a lot of it when I fully rebuilt my 'basket case' Triumph T120R and everything fitted perfectly and was well finished....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Mark I want one!

email (option): Cbfatboyhaws@gmail.com

Let me make one and try it Charlie.
I keep getting dragged in different directions which mess with my plans.
I don't want to work! I'd rather play at engineering.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

My problem is getting the spring compressed so the nut can be easily threaded on. The threads are fine and I fear cross threading if there is pressure on the nut. I cobbled together a tool but very crude. Time for a real engineered tool.

email (option): Cbfatboyhaws@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1