Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clutch spring compressor

Having recently examined a low mileage new triumph clutch I don't think many of the parts are fit for purpose.
So personally I will soldier on with the original style clutch, albeit with better quality parts.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

I think all British clutches show the age of the design to one degree or another and aren't as good as any modern clutch...There is also the question of which parts are used...Triumph clutch parts can be sourced from various suppliers and more than one manufacturer, including our friends from further afield...So, there are marked quality differences there which can affect function and service life....Simple things like incorrect set up, poor oil retention in the chaincases and misalignment of sprockets can also produce similar results...

Triumph clutches generally and the BSA derivatives, have provided good service for millions of miles I would imagine and a condemnation of the unit on the basis of one example of unknown provenance might be deemed harsh...My rigid B33 has covered over 100,000 miles with a Triumph clutch fitted and it hasn't been a traumatic experience or one subject to high levels of maintenance beyond what would be expected from an older design...
If the clutch was like that I'd have replaced it with something else or done some re engineering years ago....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have had a Triumph clutch fitted to my BSA Shooting Star for many years, no problem with plates sticking. I have fitted one to my 48 M33 and it is driving me mad with the sticking plates, so much so I will be going back to a BSA 6 spring as soon as the weather warms up. I have tried tieing the clutch lever back but I was worried about getting a set in the springs.

I'm not sure what causes this problem...My assumption has always been the type of friction material used..However, original Triumphs back in the day and current bikes fitted with pattern plates can both suffer from the problem...Strangely, the Enfields, Ariels, Matchless etc. etc. that I've owned I don't recall having the problem....
Triumphs are known for the requirement to free off the clutch before starting, even the new 1979 T140 I bought was like it...However, it wasn't much of a problem and freed off quite readily if the bike was used regularly...
I guess only time will tell whether a 'set' will develope in the springs if left for long periods with the springs compressed...To date it's the only thing I've come up with short of having friction plates bonded with a different material...Some corrosion on the steel plates is usually evident as well if the clutch is stripped out when stuck...So perhaps that is the problem...Ian

Never had a problem with stuck plates using Triumph clutches, might be choice of oil? I always use ATF but admit there is a small graunching sound when you engage first gear from cold if you dont free off clutch. Most M20/21 owners I know use the back of their heels to engage first gear whatever the clutch they are using anyway...

['Most M20/21 owners I know use the back of their heels to engage first gear whatever the clutch they are using anyway...']

Not uncommon as I've found it takes some study, practice and a degree of determination to get the M20 box to work 'normally'...:laughing:

Useful tip wth the ATF...I'll give that a try....Ian

As for the quality of new Triumph clutch parts, they can range from absolute junk to very nice. I have a few pre-unit Triumph's all with factory clutches that all work very good (no reproduction parts). When gathering clutch parts to fit one to my M21 I looked at clutch chain wheels made in India, Taiwan, USA and two different ones made in the UK.

India - horrible, poor machining and the steel was very soft.

Taiwan - not too bad and probably would have worked OK.

USA - also OK but no idea who made it.

UK - says it was made in the UK but I doubt it. Almost as bad as the India clutch and I suspect this one was made there also.

UK - LF Harris clutch. Looked well made and the steel was hardened. Much better than all the others and what I am running in my M21.

'[..UK - LF Harris clutch. Looked well made and the steel was hardened. Much better than all the others and what I am running in my M21...']

I always choose LF Harris parts...They are well made and they are working from the original factory drawings...Les Harris acquired a full set of these back to the mid 40's when he had the license from Tony Bloor to build the T140 Bonneville...I used a lot of it when I fully rebuilt my 'basket case' Triumph T120R and everything fitted perfectly and was well finished....Ian

Mark I want one!

email (option): Cbfatboyhaws@gmail.com

Let me make one and try it Charlie.
I keep getting dragged in different directions which mess with my plans.
I don't want to work! I'd rather play at engineering.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

My problem is getting the spring compressed so the nut can be easily threaded on. The threads are fine and I fear cross threading if there is pressure on the nut. I cobbled together a tool but very crude. Time for a real engineered tool.

email (option): Cbfatboyhaws@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1