The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM21 engine cases.

There's some WM21 engine cases on ebay, item no 325560688218

Re: WM21 engine cases.

Despatched to "Staatsbedrijf der Artillerie, Delft" (Dutch Army) on 25/04/40. But it looks as if it didn't cross the Channel before the German invasion of the Low Countries, as it was despatched again on 29/05/1940 to the War Office, London S.W.1", under contract C/7370.

Here's the most famous bike of that batch:
s-l1600-4

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Another set of WM21 crank cases have turned up on ebay, item no 385515777694.

WM21.1352 is also one of the Dutch Army contract bikes.

s-l1600
Schermafbeelding-2023-04-01-om-08-28-14

No second despatch date, so this one was delivered in Holland before the German invasion. No doubt captured by the Germans, as it is now for sale in Hannover (Germany).

I'm the new owner the the crank cases shown above, WM21 1941, another long term project perhaps?

The petrol tank on the bike shown on the magazine cover has a civy style filler cap, is it a panel tank?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Looks as if it is indeed a panel tank Rob, see pictures of another bike from this batch.

IYQDeJS
ratceX2
hgWDiYA

But what's happened with the MT1130 light?

Dggy2pM

But foot change gearbox.

Narrow toolbox?

Odd tapered rear stand??

I wonder if they are British rather that Dutch export models?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,

I think you're right. The magazine photo isn't dated, but it's a late '40 edition.

I'm building frame no. WM20.2966, which was a Dutch contract M21. From info gained in previous threads, it appears that this bike was one of the first not to be dispatched, being redirected to the War Dept London. These magazine photos are the best guide I've found to the spec these 'UK' WM21s had, esp foot change gearbox. Allows for some artistic licence at least.

If anyone has info about where any of the 7370 contract 'UK' WM21s ended up, I'd be really interested to know...

Craig

The rear stand is the pre war cast 'civvy' type also seen on other models in different versions...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rob Miller
But foot change gearbox.

Narrow toolbox?

Odd tapered rear stand??

I wonder if they are British rather that Dutch export models?

Rob
Hi Rob,

Yes, the narrow toolbox and old tapered rear stand were both supplied to Dutch WM21's, the foot change gearbox was not.

I had fitted all those correct parts to my Dutch Army WM21, but that bike didn't survive the fire.

Regards,
Bas

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1