Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: James ML Front Brake Cable Assembly

It's a series of pictures, I'll send them on, but wish someone would make a proper drawing! I don't have the time, and have 2 original sets for my bikes.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

If no one else volunteers Lex, I could draw them up for you.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

I've forwarded to you all the info Lex sent me Ron.

I've also tried to respond to Lex's latest email to me but the only response I've got is a notice in Dutch from my email provider. I think it's telling me it couldn't deliver but I don't really know. The message claims an English translation is available but this translated everything --- except the message! Sometimes you just can't win.

Anyway, I've got everything I need, you've both been a great help and the bike is moving forward again.

You may wonder why the enthusiasm over just another 1930's lightweight. I'm a great admirer of one Frank Fletcher who won a bronze medal riding a similar model Excelsior Universal in the 1938 ISDT held in Wales. Next year he rode another in the 1939 Austrian ISDT held on the eve of WWII. Like all in the British contingent he left for home before the event finished but as a mere private entrant I've never been able to pin down the exact details of his return home. I've been keen to get myself an Excelsior Universal ever since I read of his exploits and adventures and now I have one. I was very pleased to get it.

Cheers,
Bob

email (option): bobmcgrath21@hotmail.com

Thanks Bob and very good to hear.

Lex is a very poor Dutchie with worn out clogs. I expect he didn't pay his email bill:disappointed:

You can copy and paste any foreign text into "Google Translate" Ron:+1:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Haha! donations are always welcome!! it's my PC, it's too full with bike stuff! half a million pictures, so have to buy another one.

I didn't get anymore emails from Bob, after the first 2 or 3.

Here's the article he sent me about the forks.

Nice story about the ISDT bike, any pictures of that?

Cheers,

Lex

And Mark, please if you can make proper drawing off of it, would love to see it!

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex,
Now we know the secret. You have a full to the brim computer memory! I don't trust computers that much. I've had one hard drive fail and I never want to go through that again. I've taken various back up precautions since then but from friends tales of woe it seems that no matter what you do you never quite get back everything.

Back to interesting things. No, I have very little photographic eveidence of Frank Fletchers rides in the ISDT. He was a private entrant with no affiliations. When you look at ISDT reports there are lots of photos of National teams, factory teams, Services teams, club teams and so on but not much of solo private entrants. They are occasionally seen in the back ground or as part of a group on a stiff hill or through a watersplash or some such but you have to hunt for them. I've found a few of that sort showing Frank but nothing good enough to show how he prepared the bike. I also contacted the Technische Museum Wien, who hold much of the official German photographs taken at the 1939 ISDT but they have none of him. Possibly I could contact Mortons to see what they have but that could be an expensive exercise and I'd rather save that one until my next trip to England and do it in person. Much more fun.
Of course the 9D Villiers engine itself has an excellent ISDT record even though the British didn't like them much. The Dutch Eysink team did very well with them both before and after WWII. I'd be very interested to know how they prepared their bikes.

I'm sorry this seems to be getting away from WD bikes but it does involve general proprietary items used across a range of machinery as well as in the WD field. In fact you could say they are regular civilian items successfully adapted for WD use.

Cheers,
Bob

email (option): bobmcgrath21@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1