Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Census Number

A friend of mine has an M20 from Greece and would like to know the census number. The frame number is WM20 74582 and the engine number is WM20 80554. There is also a crown and the number 68563 stamped on the steering head. We are grateful in advance for any information. cheers Klaus

email (option): ajay2@gmx.de

Re: Census Number

The crown and the other number is the Greek numbering system. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

- Duplicated frame number (stamped on the engine) WM20.80554 is a contract C/13290 number, the census number would have been C4864537.

But this is an interesting one, because this particular number also appears in the Key Cards. So was it first used by the BAOR and then sold to someone in Greece...? Don't think so... There is a "frame number" in the key cards, but we have discussed this before: did they enter the "true frame number" (stamped on the frame), or the more visible "duplicated frame number" (stamped on the engine) on the Key Cards? Well, I'm inclined to say that they used the first option (they must have entered the "true frame number", stamped on the frame). In that case it all fits: the frame (with "true engine number" WM.2080554) served in Germany, with the BAOR, and the engine (with "duplicated frame number" WM.2080554) somehow found its way to Greece (in another frame: WM20.74582). It may have been abandoned there...

- This brings us to the frame number (stamped on the frame: WM20.74582). This is also a contract C/13290 number, the census number would have been C4755165. Unfortunately we have no exact build date for (duplicated) frame numbers over WM20.69699.

- As Ron already mentioned, the crown stamp with number 68563 is a post war Greek Army stamp.

Here's C4757208 from the same contract, in Greece(?):
Schermafbeelding-2023-02-13-om-20-15-11

And this is another example of the Hellenic Crown on a BSA M20:
Schermafbeelding-2023-02-13-om-20-16-52

Any chance of adding some pictures of your bike, Klaus...?

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks Jan, that's really interesting. Can you please tell me what BAOR means?
I only have the numbers and no pictures, but I can ask for detailed pictures.
cheers Klaus

email (option): ajay2@gmx.de

Hi Klaus,
BAOR is the abbreviation for British Army on the Rhine (post war British occupation forces in Germany).
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Small point, BAOR British Army OF the Rhine. Baz

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

Nieuwe pagina 1