Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Picture

Captioned as France but the light clothing and 3HW'S could be Italy??? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

4th Infantry Division were not in N.W. Europe (not after May 1940 anyway !)

Although the roofline of the building to the left looks quite Northern French, it pretty well has to be Italy. The "enhancement" of the formation sign, including the "4 Div Up" sign are typical of what they used to do when preparing images for publication using low-grade printing techniques. Perhaps a Divisional or Battalion history in this case ?

Edit* (I should have done a Google search first !) Definitely Italy and with enhanced formation signs ! The '60' Arm of Service serial seems likely to indicate 2nd Royal Fusilers.

https://www.primapaginachiusi.it/2018/06/29-giugno-castiglione-del-lago-ricorda-la-battaglia-del-trasimeno-la-liberazione/

Thanks for posting that Rik, at least some of the Italians are being made aware of what was done for them. It's such a shame that the liberation of Italy is all but forgotten despite the fighting being worse than that suffered in Northern Europe.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Thanks for finding that Rik. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The middle bike needs a rear stand repair!...Ian

I've just realised that the serial has been altered from "60" to "56"...which is probably 2 DCLI.

I wouldn't mind betting that they were struggling to find photos for the battalion history and decided to doctor one showing troops from another brigade in 4 Div !

Nieuwe pagina 1