Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad news...worst nightmare.

Hello all,

Yesterday evening I lost almost my complete collection of WD motorcycles, spare parts, tools and willys jeep by a huge fire. The worst nightmare for any collector. I managed to safe only my Matchless G3WO, but my KM20, Dutch Army WM21, KM24, Royal Enfield, 1937 M20 and two early WM20's are gone.

I don't know jet if I will continue with this hobby, I have to think about that.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Re: Bad news...worst nightmare.

Bastiaan I'm so sorry

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

What an awful thing to happen, I hope know one was harmed.

Be strong are thoughts are with you Bastiaan.

Mark :sob:

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

That is about the worst nightmare I can think of. I just hope you weren't hurt, and that no one else was hurt, either.

This is a heavy blow. Please, take care of yourself, and do not rush to any decisions just yet.

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

That is horrible news Bastiaan. Glad you are safe but what a blow.

Scott D

Unbelievable bad luck Bastiaan! I'm so sorry to hear this.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

We are saddened and quiet by this bad news of yesterday evening, Bastiaan.

You have so much passion about these early bikes and so much dedication to get them 100% correct. Now that you were on the brink of building the ultimate KM24 your faced with this...

Such a big blow, besides all the bikes also a passion destroyed. But we're sure you have the strength to regain it in time.

Stay strong, Eelko & Michiel

A terrible event....and made worse by the fact we get very attached to these old machines as we put part of ourselves into the restorations...As noted, take some time to assess the situation, look at what could perhaps, be saved, and then make a decidion about the future...I hope no one was hurt at all....Ian

so sorry to hear this Bastiaan, i hope all kind words from members will keep you going and rebuild..

barry

Oh bloody hell, Bastiaan...so sorry to hear this. I can't think of anything to say that will help at all...So much history. So much attention to detail.

No one was hurt, forgot to mention that. We were also able to save 5 horses and a goat which were in a field close to the building in which I had my motorcycles.

It's almost unbearable to think at all the motorcycles, parts, tools, original despatch rider kit and numerous small original parts (complete original toolkits, NIFE battery lid, early BSA speedo drive, early speedometers,etc.). I had enough parts to completely build several early WD motorycyles including an original War Office KM24, which I just found a week ago.

Many thanks for your kind reactions!

@Michiel and Eelko: I am really touched by your words. I really enjoyed your company on all those trips to the UK and your hospitality when I visited you with my family some time ago.

Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Hi bastiaan
What words can describe your devastation at this loss - these bikes were part of your persona
your drive & passion made them bikes again - for many - existing previously as boxes of parts

Time now perhaps to absorb the impact of this - I truly hope this is not the cause of you leaving this hobby - time will help your mind clearing this huge loss

You have many friends here - we think of you at this time

You can contact me anytime

Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Bastiaan. I just wanted to show my support, I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said.
Thinking of you.
Alwyn

Unfortunately
It is horrific and a great loss
But thank God that you are fine, my friend
A person can make up for anything in life
There is an Egyptian proverb that says what doesn't break you will make you stronger
And you know that everyone loves you and wishes you all the best, so do not despair ever, and I hope that I can help you as you used to help others

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

I'm sorry to hear this news Bastiaan. As others have said, please give it time. You have helped me when I've been looking for parts. If I can help, I will.

My regards,

Craig

Bastiaan:
I share the sentiment that each of the members above have expressed for your loss of an irreplaceable part of your life. I hope that this tragedy will not deter you from continuing on with this beautiful affliction that we all share.

I´m really sorry to read what happened to you. What a tragedy..

Ali

email (option): ali.krumpen@t-online.de

Sorry to hear the news as well.
You obviously have other priorities rign now but don't dispair as there will be a lot more that is recoverable than it looks like right now.
Just beware of over enthusiastic insurance companies who clear the old site with a skid steer & send everything to landfil

Terribly sorry to hear the news of your fire, but glad to hear that no one was injured and that you saved the nearby livestock.

email (option): dickie.bobbie@hotmail.co.uk

Bastiaan. That must be gutting and I feel for you. Are the bikes absolutely beyond reclaiming? I'm only thinking of the destruction caused when the National Motorcycle Museum had a horrendous fire, some of the bikes that initially appeared beyond saving, were actually rebuilt. Give it some thought after a bit of time before making a rash decision. It would be a pity to loose you. Best Wishes, Pete

Bastiaan, I'm so terribly sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you & yours.
As Pete says above, now's not the time for big decisions. Let your thoughts coalesce for a bit & the right way for you will appear.
I hope you stay in the hobby.
Bob

Hi Bastiaan,

So sorry to hear your terrible news. Your early KM20 was an inspiration to me, only hope that my WDM20 will look half as nice as yours.
All the best, and as the saying goes, Out of the ashes the Phoenix will rise.

Dave

Bastiaan,

I’m so sorry to read what happened, please don’t give up. I have only one military machine my G3WO, but that suffered a similar fate in 2016 when I was riding back from the Brighton Bash. I was about a mile and a half from my home when a lady in a car that was waiting at a junction on the dual carriageway that I was on pulled out on me when I was 5 m from her. The bike ended up on top of me and caught fire. I too felt the same as you and the burned out remains sat in my garage like the elephant in the room for six months until a great pal of mine came to my house and kicked my arse into dismantling an rebuilding. Following the 18 month restoration, my bike went on to win best military in show at Stafford in 2019 and 2022. I still have nightmares about having a burning bike on top of me, but I still ride it because I love it even more as a big part of me was invested into its rebirth. As the great Winston Churchill said KBO! (Keep Buggering On!)

Best regards,

Neil

email (option): neil.trinder01@gmail.com

Sorry to hear that sad news Bastiaan
It is very upsetting no doubt, but hopefully you will put it behind you and move on with what you have. Thankfully nobody was hurt and the animals were saved.

All the best
Rod

Dear Bastiaan,

This is such a tragic loss and I cannot imagine how you must feel at the moment. We should be thankful that know one was injured or severely hurt in the fire. As bad as you must feel at the moment it is true that whatever man has made, he can make again. As Neil Trinder has mentioned his bike was completely burned out but he has managed to rebuild it and continues to run and make new friends along the way, including me. When I started the NOBS group over 20 years ago it was all about our bikes but they have become less important and it’s now all about the people and our friendship. We should all learn a lesson from your tragic experience and I have been sitting here thinking about the security of my bikes and the combustible materials, petrol, oil and batteries that I have stored with my bikes. Very best wishes, John

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your bikes. From personal experience, I know how much these bikes mean to us WD bike collectors.

You will bounce back, it might not seem like it, but you will!

Regards

Danny

email (option): dannyburt152@gmail.com

so sorry to hear this Bastiaan awful loss. how terrible. i hope you can cope ok. only loss of life and injury are worse. wishing you the best and that there comes a better dawn when you feel able to work out your next steps for the best. wishing you all good luck xxx peter

Very sorry to hear that, the best thing is that no-one got hurt, that really is the main thing

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Terrible news !
Hope things settle down for You and You feel able to carry on .
Im struggling with My Families and My Own health issues and realise the importance of a hobby .
I would have fallen into despair without things to occupy My mind lately .

email (option): s.foster11@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Bastiaan, this is really bad news. The old motorcycles have always kept me up there, even in bad and hopeless situations. Even if the loss is great, I hope that you will rebuild the M24.

email (option): ajay2@gmx.de

Really sorry to read your terrible news Bastiaan.

I really feel for you. Be kind to your self and know you can turn to fellow forum members if you need a chat.

Keep safe mate.

Kind regards

Mark

email (option): Towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

That is awful news Bastiaan and unbearable to think of. I'm glad no one was hurt.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1