Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gear Bush Tools

Something for your entertainment. The next trick will be to stamp them with the bush numbers before they get machined into something else.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Re: Gear Bush Tools

Hi mark
If these are one off use tools - I would be interested in purchasing them

Interesting you are using a 1 piece sleeve gear bush - BSA changed this to a 2 piece bush - the originals like the other 2 seen here were a split type

One of the 2 smaller gears is drilled for oil flow - layshaft if I remember correctly- it’s the exact same as the mainshaft which is commonly found nos - drilled gears are hard to find but main shaft gears on layshafts on rebuild are common
Running without issue
Likewise the basic bush for these gears are same - but with one with oil holes

Pls let me know about the tools
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Where possible without causing damage, I like to drill lubrication holes after fitting the bush. But before finishing it to size.

I hadn't thought about selling the tooling, but I don't see why not.

I cleaned the lathe last night and will be machining bronzes for a couple of days.

I'll drop you a line John.

Mark

I would suggest the inner sleeve gear bush is best drilled before fitting and finishing to size as the lubrication holes through the gear are at an angle to the axis of the bush...Consequently, it's very easy to snap the drill as it breaks through the bush....Oversize holes can be drilled in the bush to ease alignment when the bush is fitted...
The two similar gears on the shafts differ in that one is drilled and the other isn't...The undrilled gear is fitted to the mainshaft as it is lubricated partially from the hollow shaft...The drilled gear goes onto the solid layshaft and is lubricated via the holes through the gear/bush...Care should be taken to fit the respective gears in the correct positions...Ian

Thank you for your thoughts Ian, I'll see what happens.
Drilling the bush will double it's price especially as they will be made in very small numbers.
Then you have to consider the skill required to line it up.

Mark

Hi Ian
are you sure about the layshaft / mainshaft info? .
I've just looked at a layshaft and it is hollow with an oil hole for the bush lubrication :thinking_face:
Pete

Oops!..You're right Peter...I don't know how many of those boxes I've rebuilt but sometimes the brain gets it wrong....So, same information, opposite shafts:laughing: ....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1