Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Occasional power loss.

The standard 600 motor fitted to my Wm20 has about 1000 miles on it.
It occasionally loses power when pulling hard uphill.
At first I thought it was nipping up, stopped to let it cool. But if I back off on the throttle when it happens it comes good & slogs uphill. I can find a slight imperfection in the bore with my fingernail at bout 6.30 clockwise.
And there are brownish rust coloured marks on the bore at about 2 & 4 adjacent to the valves.
Otherwise the bore looks good, I can still see the circumferential honing marks.
The motor runs well, has good compression.
Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Re: Occasional power loss.

I'm not sure what it causing your problem but I would advise against letting the engine slog uphill. I did while daydreaming and had an expensive siezure (motor, not me).
Keep the engine spinning.
Are you sure you have an M20 (500cc) and not a M21 (600cc)?

If you pick up speed when you close the throttle a little, it might be a weak mixture at the top end causing the trouble...Check your main jet size and the carbs choke size....
To test on the road try closing the choke SLIGHTLY to richen things up and see if hat has an effect...Also, and very importantly, ensure your ignition timing is not retared at all....Ian

['ensure your ignition timing is not retared at all..']

Or retarded...:laughing: ...Ian

Thanks for the replies.
Pete, what I meant to convey is that the motor is now to standard M21 600 specs.
It has an M20 carby (276 type) pending fixing a proper M21 size. The needle's raised a notch. While not correct, it's run another 600 well for years.
I'll try Ian's suggestions if (when) it happens again.
I said that patches on the bore were rust coloured, thinking about it they're better described as amber & I wonder if the bore's glazed in these areas & whether this would have anything to do with my problems.

An M20 carb is 1/16" smaller than an M21 carb (1 1/16")...That in itself wouldn't matter, other than it's a slight restriction, as long as it's set up OK...
The M21 also uses a different mainjet...That's smaller than an M20 at 160 instead of 170, so if anything the M20 jet would be a little rich (assuming the carb isn't worn out)...However, a slide that rattles about in the body could negate most of the above statements and the carb may well have to run with non standard settings to achieve the correct mixture...The other parts that wear over time and can affect the settings are the needle and needle jet...
I wouldn't imagine bore glazing, if you have any, would come into play with the problem you describe...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1