Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original despatch of WM20-78096

Reading through the KM20 thread I see Jan has a copy of the BSA frame number records.
When you have time could you please look up my bike WM20-78096
No great rush as I am intending to keep the bike in the same civilian trim that it was originally registered as bu the original civilian owner .
However it does not appear in the Aust war office registry, or rather I can not find it listed.
The explanation that was prospered is it was imported post WWII to be sold off to us "rich' Aussies
Has matching engine & frame numbers suggesting that it was never used or at least not for long enough for the first engine swap service .
Regards
Trevor

Re: Original despatch of WM20-78096

Hi Trevor,

I'm afraid that the factory ledgers for this contract (C/13290) do not exist anymore. But I can tell you a few things anyway...

Contract C/13290 was a contract for 10.000 bikes (5000 RASC, 5000 RAOC). Frame numbers were #71818 - #81817. There were two blocks of census numbers: C4752401 - C4757400 and C4860801 - C4865800. Your bike is the 6278th from this contract, the census number would have been C4862079. (I've added some pictures of "sister bikes" FYI). Production of this contract started at the end of November 1942, @ 400 bikes per week (approximately). This means that your bike must have left the factory around April 1943.

Maybe Rob Miller can check in the digital AWM list if #78096 can be found?

Hope this helps,
Jan

dad1
Two-screws-and-two-studs-with-washers-and-nuts

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

We discussed Trevors bike some years ago in this thread, I don't think anything different has turned up since then.

Rob

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1375211&cmd=show

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hello Trevor,

Just wondering, was this information useful?

Jan

Sort of
Thanks for checking .
I know it is not in the ledgers as I have downloaded them all and printed out quite a few pages at A3 size for easier reading but when the previous request was made we were talking about the Aust army ledgers and no mention of factory frame records which I always thought were destroyed during one of the bombing raids on the factory which is why I asked this time .
So it retains it's mystery bike provenance
When I finally pass it on some other poor sod will be worrying about returning it to an "authentic appearance" in the mean time I will just keep on riding it cause that is what it was made for , not for looking at .
The only interesting thing is that the registration papers list it as a 1943 model so way back in 1946/7 when it was disposed of some one must have known it was a 1943 bike.
And this is also a bit strange as all of the bikes I have come across that have been continiously registered since the end of WWII are recorded as being 1946 or 1947
Bikes that have not been continiously registered seem to have their original manufacture date.
The first B40 I registered a week after I bought it had to be registered as a 1982 model as I had no proof it was made in 1966 that the registry would accept where as the 2 ones registered latter under historic registration got 1966 as their model year .

['When I finally pass it on some other poor sod will be worrying about returning it to an "authentic appearance" in the mean time I will just keep on riding it cause that is what it was made for , not for looking at ...']

They can still be ridden when they have an 'authentic appearance', the two things are not mutually exclusive...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

All the Triumph factory records were lost in the Coventry blitz but no other factory seems to have suffered to the same degree. It's not clear why the surviving BSA factory records suddenly stop, but they're more complete than Norton who only have most of 1939 and one book from 1940. The most likely explanation is that the records served initially for guarantee purposes and then later for spares and technical enquiries. BSA had to be able to supply the correct parts to a dealer who quoted pre-war engine and frame numbers...but at some point it was realised that 20lb book after 20lb book listing machines with no differences and only one customer - "War Office, London" simply weren't worth the shelf space.

The fact that your bike is not in the Australian Army records and has a correct year of manufacture would suggest to me, certainly in a British context that it was probably delivered to a government agency who used civilian rather than military serials and registered immediately. Maybe fire brigades, coastguards, that sort of thing.

I've just posted a new thread about the factory ledgers and the Birmingham Blitz

Jan

Ian Wright
['When I finally pass it on some other poor sod will be worrying about returning it to an "authentic appearance" in the mean time I will just keep on riding it cause that is what it was made for , not for looking at ...']

They can still be ridden when they have an 'authentic appearance', the two things are not mutually exclusive...Ian
Depends upon who prisy you are about the original appearance
Know lots of riders who will not to 20 yards on any road that is not sealed
Their bikes & their decision but not for this little black duck.
When we laid the new water pipes to the house, the M20 was perfect for packing down the trench back fill

Nieuwe pagina 1