Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amal...Gulp!

I fitted a new Burlen Fuels 276 to my M20 many moons back which has provided faultless service but is now showing its age in a few areas..
So, I thought I might give it a new years present and fit a new unit...Not too long ago I bought a 289 for my rigid B33 and that was about £360 so I new they weren't cheap...However, the current price for the M20 carb is a little over £450 inc. vat but without the postage and vat on top of that....maybe £465 all in?...
It also has to be born in mind that Burlen carbs now have all the fittigs bright nickel and/or zinc plated, not dull or satin chromed, so there's a further cost at the platers just to get it looking right....
Now I'm thinking of looking again and determining whether some new replacement parts will do it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Amal...Gulp!

Surrey Cycles are advertsing the 276 at £290. I donlt wheer they source them but its tempting to assume quality might not be as good as Amal?

PS BEST WISHES TO ALL FOR 2023

Surrey cycles get their stock from Amal...That must be the old price...I'll give him a try on Tuesday....Ian

Surrey Cycles and Hitchcocks both sell genuine Amal (Burlen) carbs. The old price used to be £290 +VAT so maybe they still have some old stock. I see Hitchcocks have also jacked theirs up to £385 +VAT. It's a 33% hike! Ron

PS. Surrey Cycles are also £458 now :- https://surreycycles.com/carburettors/amal-276/

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If you dig a little deeper on the Surrey Cycles website they are actually listed at £458 inc vat...Much the same as Burlen Fuels:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ...Ian

At risk of starting a whole different debate - what about using a Keihin? I wonder what model and settings would work best with a wm20? It wouldn't be original, of course, but I'm thinking the Amal price tags are getting to be rather too steep for me.

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

The logical way to go would be the much cheaper 'Concentric' which fits in the same way and is tuned in the same way....The problem though is the appearance if an original look is required....Personally, I'm happy to fit the 'wrong' carb to any of my other bikes but not the M20....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1