Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Float chamber damage!

A straightforward job of servicing my leaky carb has led to a garage disaster. I've dropped the float chamber and put a dent in the side of it.

So... what are my chances of salvaging the part and how would I go about it?

If I need to source a replacement does it have to be the identical part number? Mine is 65-156, stamped 1B. I have found a used item online stamped 1C but am not sure what the difference is.

Does anybody have a spare item they might consider selling?

Thanks, Stuart

PXL-20221230-184226303

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Re: Float chamber damage!

If you can't work ou the dent then new ones are available from Amal (the price may sting a bit though!)
https://amalcarb.co.uk/generic-type-276.html

I might have one but will have to have a look in the spares dept. to confirm...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Dean
If you can\\\'t work ou the dent then new ones are available from Amal (the price may sting a bit though!)
https://amalcarb.co.uk/generic-type-276.html
Yes, ouch..

Ian Wright
I might have one but will have to have a look in the spares dept. to confirm...Ian
Thanks Ian. I'll drop you an email

Stuart

If Ian can´t help, maybe you have a look at bram motoren in the Netherlands. I found there a 276C/B1 carb body.

https://www.brammotoren.nl/a-52602865/carburateur-amal/amal-276-vlotterkamer-1be-64-156/

Ali

email (option): ali.krumpen@t-online.de

How would it go if you got a bolt and nut cut to right length and gently screw the nut out where the damage is, might straighten, nothing to lose as its unusable now. Put something soft to protect threads both ends.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

kim nalder
How would it go if you got a bolt and nut cut to right length and gently screw the nut out where the damage is, might straighten, nothing to lose as its unusable now. Put something soft to protect threads both ends.
Good idea, although I think that may send it egg shape. Nothing to lose though...

Stuart

I think that will repair quite easily. Make or find a soft wooden dowl that just fits inside the chamber. Then use a hide mallet to gently tap it back into shape. Threading anything into it whilst its dented will tend to cut the metal, gently tapping with the dowl inside is just the opposite of what happened when you dropped it. I do feel your pain, that sinking feeling when you damage a rare or fragile part...

There is no 'logic' behind the Amal nomenclature. The 1C was fitted to some Panther models, so perhaps angled ?

The main variations are the length of the arm, the angle and the type of connection - Banjo or union nut with the possibility of top feeds as well.

Post-war chambers have a thicker bead along the top edge and at some point the size of the drain plug was altered...neither of these have any practical effec.

The main problem with second hand chambers is that in addition to the thread which can be examined, the condition of the float needle seat is a bit of a lottery and rectification is not guaranteeed to succeed.

Nieuwe pagina 1