Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 toolbox information: an overview of different types/variations

Hi all,

I did some research on BSA M20 toolboxes and made a short article. This article is now online and placed in the 'Technical section' of the website.

Please feel free to share any comments/remarks on the article here.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Re: BSA M20 toolbox information: an overview of different types/variations

Hi Baastian.Im looking in the technical section of website but for some reason I can't seem to see your new toolbox article there yet.

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

It's the first one on the technical page http://www.wdbsa.nl/bsatoolbox1.pdf

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

@Hamish, try to refresh your page (press F5) you might see it then.

email (option): bsawm20@hotmail.com

My 1950 civilian M21 has a "pre war" type tool box according to your photos. The tab where the lid screws to has the longer bracket like a pre war one. And yes the bike has its original tool box it left the factory with.

Thanks Bastiaan, very interesting.

The inner bracket/tab with the threaded hole is a good question, I have one of these narrow toolboxes put by with my WB30 project because it appeared from the photos thats what the early ones had, but now I'm not so sure?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Bruce
My 1950 civilian M21 has a "pre war" type tool box according to your photos. The tab where the lid screws to has the longer bracket like a pre war one. And yes the bike has its original tool box it left the factory with.
@ Bruce: could you share some photos of your toolbox, inside and outside, please. I am curious to see your toolbox.
I was able to see the toolboxes of 1 pre war civilian KM21 with all original parts in as found condition and 1 1939 Dutch Army KM21 also with all original parts. They both had the toolbox as described in the article. I was able to find exactly such a toolbox for my Dutch Army BSA WM21 project.

@ Rob: I am pritty sure the WB30 should have the narrow type toolbox but I have never been able to find or look at an original WB30 in detail.

Hello Bastiaan,

The bike is a 1950 M21. Only had 1200 miles when parked in a shed in 1962 as the gearbox no longer worked. It runs very nice now.

20221030-175954
20221219-132946
20221219-132956
20221220-185208

Bastiaan the WB30 parts lists quote a 65-9038 tool box whereas the civy B & M models in 1940 had a 65-9019.

It's probably safe to assume that the difference between the civy and B30 box is the addition of the handbook pocket.

The WD M20 wider box is 66-9127. Ron

The other tool box variant was the addition of the hasp and staple, although rarely seen this Phantom Signals unit had them early in the war and examples quite often turn up probably from the post war period.

Rob

Phantom

DSCF2477

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Ron Pier
Bastiaan the WB30 parts lists quote a 65-9038 tool box whereas the civy B & M models in 1940 had a 65-9019.

It's probably safe to assume that the difference between the civy and B30 box is the addition of the handbook pocket.

The WD M20 wider box is 66-9127. Ron
Ok thanks for the info Ron. Did the WB30 toolboxes have an addition for the handbook pocket (already in 1940)?

Hi Rob,

Yes, that photo shows a real rarity! I have discussed that photo before with Nick as the hasp and staple are visible on this early M20. I think this was not generally introduced with WM20's at that time. It's the only photo that I know of were it's visible on an early M20.

The hasp and staple were widely introduced after the war. Nick once had an original wide WM20 toolbox with a hasp and staple. He removed those to make the toolbox look earlier and see what turned up below... I think the hasp and staple were general purpose items, probably used for several types of boxes, etc.

IMG-20221221-WA0018

IMG-20221221-WA0019

IMG-20221221-WA0017

Here the same type of hasp and staple used on a toolbox:

s-l1600802

s-l16800

What was it that 'Phantom' used ? Presumably a modification to take the padlock ?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205197643

"Ok thanks for the info Ron. Did the WB30 toolboxes have an addition for the handbook pocket (already in 1940)?" Bastiaan

Bastiaan the parts lists I have are for the 100 RN WB30's in 1942 and some obscure contracts totaling just a few bikes without any dates. I don't know for sure that the pocket was fitted, but it makes sense. Ron

B0-Cover-1

"Inter-Services Research Bureau". Hush-Hush, Old Boy...I could tell you about it, but then I'd have to kill you ! :grinning:

I expect "M" had a hand in some of the secret features on those bikes. :sleuth_or_spy: Ron

Didn't he design the 'M' Series ?

Bruce
Hello Bastiaan,

The bike is a 1950 M21. Only had 1200 miles when parked in a shed in 1962 as the gearbox no longer worked. It runs very nice now.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the photos!

I was able to look at another 1950 M21 BSA a few days ago. It had the same toolbox like yours, the change in the toolbox must have taken place later I assume. I will change that in the article in the technical section.

Regards,
Bastiaan

Nieuwe pagina 1