Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gordon Prime Duty Despatch Rider

Hi all, I just thought I’d clarify what is hoped will happen and who is involved for the new additions to the group.

As you are all aware, Gordon Prime is 98 years old and a former WW2 Despatch Rider who served with the RASC during WW2, landed in Normandy on D Day and fought all the way through to Berlin. Shortly before the cessation of hostilities, his best mate was killed on April 16th 1945.

THE PLAN
Is to organise a ride in to Gordon’s Retirement Home in Pembroke Dock with British WW2 Despatch Rider bikes in British period uniform for those that have it, spend some time with him, set up at a camp site nearby, have a ride out or two if can be arranged and beer and barbie and a good time over the weekend.

ORGANISATION

The VMCC was approached by Hugh Morgan of Age Cymru Dyfed who is in regular contact to see if someone could organise the above. At this point I would like to point out that this is NOT a VMCC event and they were approached to act as facilitators if possible. I was then approached by Steve Allen of the VMCC to see if I could interest anyone with a period military bike to which I agreed on the proviso that he get someone local to organise campsite venue etc nearer to Pembroke Dock as I live in Halesowen in the West Midlands and it is too arms length for me to sort out. this seemed to be sorted as a Motor Cycle Club near to Pembroke Dock were on board, but I learned today that they have pulled out for reasons of their own.

THE AIMS

Purely to bring to fruition the wish of Gordon whilst he is still able to see British Despatch Bikes and honour the memory of his fallen comrade on the day that he died. Furthermore, Gordon has long wished to see a memorial to Despatch Riders erected at the National Memorial Arboretum which coincides with that of Duty To Ride.org. It would seem that if donations could be raised during the weekend towards this aim, fit would be no bad thing to do.

Whatever the outcome, I intend to go down to Pembroke Dock on the day to make it happen for Gordon I hope you guy’s will join me even if we have to arrange everything ourselves, we have a core of twelve of us that have said we would be willing to do it so let’s make it happen.

I am willing to do what I can as regards organisation, I can be contacted by email or mobile phone on 07876574262, but what is required is someone at the West Wales end to sound out Campsites and plan a run route or two (local knowledge is best) Justin Legg has said he will assist and he can be contacted via email leggy90@icloud.com or mobile 07796 857331

Please contact me to confirm that you are able to attend or can assist in setting this up.

Kind regards,
Neil Trinder

THe following have said they wish to attend:
Chris Brooks
Alwyn Dart
Johnny O’Brien
Dean Southall
John Shaw (probable)
Justin Legg
Steve Drewit
Richard Purkiss
Neil Trinder
Rob Carter
Colin Ellis
Nathan Bannister

email (option): neil.trinder01@gmail.com

Re: Gordon Prime Duty Despatch Rider

Thanks for the update a Neil. I'll start making some enquiries down this end and contact some possible riders.
Justin.

email (option): leggy90@icloud.com

I have just received the email below from Steve Allen of the VMCC, could all of those intending to attend please register their interest via the link in the email to give some idea of those attendending.

Regarss,

Neil

Dear All,

I am now in discussion with the West South Wales VMCC section regarding the finalised route for the Gordon Prime Run on April 16th. At present we are still expecting to start and finish at the Carew Cheriton Control Tower, (https://www.carewcheritoncontroltower.co.uk/), details about the route and lunch stop will follow. In the meantime if you could encourage all the participants to pre-register their interest using the following form: https://forms.office.com/e/vRq0UGxRpd . This and further details can be found on the https://vmcc.net/Duty-to-Ride page.

I am hoping to gather some local media interest and am already in touch with the BBC about possible coverage.

I hope to be in touch again soon with further details.

Best regards

Steve Allen
Director

VMCC
07770 583391
steve@vmcc.net
www.vmcc.net

Paul Heaney at BBC Wales is a good contact. He likes doing veteran related stories. He covered an old veteran friends storey a while ago.
If he is not already in the loop he may be good to contact.
https://www.facebook.com/paul.heaney.9279

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55035377

Richard.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Richard Purkiss
Paul Heaney at BBC Wales is a good contact. He likes doing veteran related stories. He covered an old veteran friends storey a while ago.
If he is not already in the loop he may be good to contact.
https://www.facebook.com/paul.heaney.9279

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55035377

Richard.
Thanks, Richard, I've passed it on to Steve Allen.

Happy New Year to all on the Forum.

I just thought I’d give a brief update on the arrangements for the Ride In for Gordon, as can be expected, not a great deal has gone on over the Christmas period. However, I have been talking to Justin and he tells me that the ranks will be swelled by bike owners from the MVT. I have also had an email from Mike Walsh in Dublin who wants to be added as a probable on his M20. A camping venue still has yet to be finalised and it would be helpful if some idea of numbers wanting to camp to get as accurate idea of cost as we can. I am hoping that this can be achieved by the end of February as I am going to be in Portugal from the 27th Feb to 2nd April. I will however, be contactable by email whilst I’m away. Pip Pip

Neil

Thanks for the update Neil.

I have another rider interested and we will be making a recce for a campsite next month as I have been recommended a few.
Speak soon,

Justin.

Put my name down Neil, and it will give me a target to assemble my bike.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Thanks for the update Neil.

I have another rider interested and we will be making a recce for a campsite next month as I have been recommended a few.
Speak soon,

Justin.

Hi guys,
Yet more have joined the list, those camping are as follows:

Chris Brooks. - Motorhome
Robert Carter - Tranny van
Mark Cook - Motorhome
Alwyn Dart -motorhome
Steve Drewit - 3 Man Tent
Colin Ellis - Motorhome