Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD BSA B20

Hi All.

I am interested to understand if any 1937/1938 BSA B20’s are know to exist from contracts C174 or C912?

I don’t believe I have ever seen one or any period photography of the machines in service? Most internet search’s lead to a dead end.

I can see for O&M’s book that only 9 bikes from the C174 contract were listed within the BSA ledgers, with the remaining 30 undocumented?

I would be keen to learn more if anyone has any information?

All the best.

email (option): findingsteveo@hotmail.com

Re: WD BSA B20

There is probably no significance in the BSA records listing only 9 machines under C174. The BSA ledgers are often confusing or unreliable.

The RAOC Chilwell records confirm reception of 30 "Motorcycles for instructional purposes" on 8/7/1937.

C912 related to 124 "Learner motorcycles" received as 40 on 21/1/38, 40 on 27/1/38 and 44 on 1/2/38.

In general, there are very few survivors of any vehicle types which became obsolete prior to 1945.

Thanks Rik!

Looking at the only period photo I can find in O&M’s book it appears the sample machine is finished in black?

Would this be correct?

Steve, there are no clues in the Ministry of Supply records for these contracts. The photo in the latest edition of O&M seems to show a machine with black cycle parts and black panel on presumably a dark green fuel tank.

Cat-Ref-10-C174

Hi Rik.

This fits with what I had thought.

I have, however, found what I believe to be an original rear frame section, attached to a civilian project. The original colour is black then KG3 followed by another top coat of black…..

Steve

It seems logical that driving school bikes in 1937 / '38 might have been in basically civilian colours, a period during which even first-line vehicles were gloss bronze green..and any wartime rebuild would have involved only one colour.

Does the KG3 look to be sprayed ? My 1939 WD16H had a thin black layer below the factory KG3...I wonder if many frame parts were simply blown over in black before they went into the parts stores ?

This is 912, but no more clues.

Cat-Ref-11-C912

Frame originally made to be Civilian model.
Bought into the military so overpainted kakai
Sold off at the end of the war & returned to civilian colours.
Frames were made in batches
Engine were made in batches many times in a different factory
Then the two assembled into a motorcycle , some times at a third location
Even before WWII BSA had 4 factories

Hopefully this works, I have attached a photo….

https://ibb.co/ChVNZy3

E7-FB2986-4-B18-4-FAA-A04-F-4-F28-A07472-C7

It's a hell of a job to tell, but that doesn't look like Khaki Green No.3 to me. Could it be pre-war gloss Bronze Green ?

Rik, I went to see the frame, in reality the colour is much lighter and more in keeping with KG3. Such a shame it’s connected to a civilian frame or I’d try and buy it!

It’s possible that it could have been a War Office messenger’s bike, did it have a civvie registration? I know that some Matchlesses were delivered in black and used by the War Office with civvie registration numbers.

email (option): neil.trinder01@gmail.com

Neil Trinder
It’s possible that it could have been a War Office messenger’s bike, did it have a civvie registration? I know that some Matchlesses were delivered in black and used by the War Office with civvie registration numbers.
Buongiorno.Sono una collezzionista italiana,proprietaria di una B.S.A 500cc telaio WM 2076400 con sidecar per trasporto merci. Era di un meccanico che la usava per trasportare altre moto.
Sapreste darmi qualche notizia in piu' su questa moto che posseggo da 33 anni?
Grazie per la cortesia e cordiali saluti.
Tiziana Maschi

email (option): tiz.maschi@gmail.com

Ciao Tiziana,

Your WM20 with frame number WM20.76400 comes from contract 13290. This was a contract for 10.000 bikes, ordered in Januari 1942. Production started in late November 1942, and in that period they were producing almost 2.000 bikes per month. This means that your bike was assembled in Februari - March 1943. It would have had the census number C4756983 on the tank. Here's another WM20 from the same contract:
C4752493

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1