Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early short forks query

Hi all,

I've acquired most of a set of early forks, which need rebuilding. A couple of queries:

The damper face of the steering stem has four threaded holes. What's their purpose? I'm assuming the stem is from pre-war model?
The faces of the fork blades where the lower links touch are partially 'stepped' down for a segment of the circle. Is this correct or a sign of uneven wear?

As ever, any info is appreciated.

Regards,

Craig

20221203-112123
20221203-112159
20221203-112324

Re: Early short forks query

No idea about the 4 holes but the forks are worn badly and need to be machined then have a shim fitted to take up the wear

I would fill them with brass.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Hi Craig
These early lower fork yokes had 4 flat head type screws at the bottom - which were tapped/ threaded into the upper section
Later versions were brazed or welded in some way I think
I am in U.K. at the moment so cannot provide any photos for you to show as comparison
I can do later in the week
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks for the responses chaps,

I suspected that the fork blades will need a fix; thanks for confirming Trevor. Mark: I'll be in touch -I'm not that far away.

John: Good to hear that the four holes aren't an oddity. If you or anyone else can shed any light on what they're for, I'll be interested to know...

Regards,

Craig

Hi Craig
Sent some photos I found
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

They hold on a plate that has four tabs to locate the steering damper rod.

Hi John,

Thanks for these 3 photos. (I seem to have deleted my own, above, but have added them below)

Craig

stems-1
Stems-2
Stems-3
20221203-112123
20221203-112324
20221203-112159

Hi Darren,

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm guessing the threaded plug that fits into the bottom of later steering stems was a more efficient manufacture design.

Would anyone out there have a piccy of the earlier screw-on plate?

Craig

Thanks John O'B for sending the photo below.

Mystery solved. I struggled to think what could screw to the steering stem, that would allow the damper to function. Simples! Part number 25-5241. And I see that Mark has them at PES...

This forum is just splendid!

steering-stem

Nieuwe pagina 1