Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Matchless G3L petrol tank question

I am assuming you can't put the tank on because the front of the saddle is too wide to fit the back cut out of the tank? If this is the case you probably have a reproduction saddle made in India. Even with an original Lycette saddle it is a tight fit.

Even then it's a tight fit. I managed to make a small tear in my new cover and had to get it professionally repaired.

Then they put the oil filter in such a place that it is easier to remove without the saddle in place:confounded: Ron
DSCF3470

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Bruce

I was told by Lex, that my saddle is a post war Triumph saddle.

I have another saddle frame, I just need to do some research to see if it is correct.

Cheers

Al

It's well worth registering on HMVF for a lot more WD information. Jan's "Saddle" thread for instance. It's a lot more complicated than you'd think! Plus other restoration projects.

https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/44660-the-saddle-thread-a-rivet-counter%E2%80%99s-guide-to-the-wd-motorcycle-saddles/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Alun Mills
Bruce

I have another saddle frame, I just need to do some research to see if it is correct.

Cheers

Al
Al, I suppose yours is an TRW one, but not sure, but then you can always adapt the 2 front mounting tabs, to move the saddle backwards a bit, I always fit the tank front side first, and then lower the rear, it's impossible to remove the saddle bolt from the frame, without lifting the tank up (or remove it) first.

Hope this helps, will be fitting a different saddle to my G3 next week hopefully, and will try to take some pictures.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb***.net

Lex Schmidt
Alun Mills
Bruce

Cheers

Al
Al, I suppose yours is an TRW one, but not sure, but then you can always adapt the 2 front mounting tabs, to move the saddle backwards a bit, I always fit the tank front side first, and then lower the rear, it's impossible to remove the saddle bolt from the frame, without lifting the tank up (or remove it) first.

Hope this helps, will be fitting a different saddle to my G3 next week hopefully, and will try to take some pictures.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Lex

I've ordered some more nuts and bolts from AMC and when they arrive I will start some more tinkering and have another look at the saddle fitment. Not sure it can go further back without the springs being pushed from vertical to leaning backwards.

Al

Nieuwe pagina 1