WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vehicle export from U.K. / import to EU

Hi Rik
It seems that imports here are subject to Duty and vat charged at 23%
I don’t believe for a moment that this is in line with euro regs & is having a significant impact on imports from U.K.

There is a VRT charge imposed - Vehicle Registration Tax - which is illegal under EU law - but the Irish government continue to apply this as the fine from the EU is a fraction of the Revenue collected !!

Still interested to hear from fellow enthusiasts from within the EU who have imported vintage motorcycles or cars since the change to U.K. status

Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Tax on import to the Republic should technically be 0% if the motorcycle originated in the UK. Have you tested the regulation? https://www.vrt.ie/faq/steps-involved-importing-car-uk-ireland/#:~:text=Customs%20and%20VAT&text=If%20you%20import%20a%20vehicle,vehicle%20originated%20in%20the%20UK.

Rik
John, it should be the same in all EU countries. If the vehicle is in original (not modified) condition and more than 30 years old, there shouldn't be import duties and VAT will be 6% on the value. They're treated the same way as antique collectibles.
FROM the UK, TO EU is 3% import tax, IF it is a UK made vehicle, + VAT (from that EU country) on the invoice (must be reasonable and possible to “prove” so there must be a traceable name on the invoice for a bike older than 20/25 years..

Never heard and experienced “6%” of the VAT or like wise… for 30y old classics… at least not in the Netherlands..

And we do it for a living (regularly) BUT i might be wrong ;-)

Very important now: BEFORE export, you need to fill in ALL the proper export and import forms, BEFORE entering the EU!
I have seen that people were sent back on the ferry, with the bike, because they hadn’t the proper forms from the UK and EU..

Tbh not worth the hassle for a few quid to be safed upon

Cheers
Harold

It appears that NL has increased he VAT / BTW to 9%. Europe insists on a minimum of 6% for collector's items and this applies in Belgium.

https://www.freighthammer.com/nl/invoerrechten-en-btw/

I realise this isn't a government site, but the official Belgian pages definitely show 6% BTW /VAT on import of vehicles over 30 years old in 'original state' and no import taxes.

Nieuwe pagina 1