The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Control Levers Amal Bowden Doherty

Here is a chromed alloy/Mazak? top.

"AMAL" on top, under side the correct part number 12-031 and BS Kitemark, MC LD would be the foundry.

So is this late war or post war, how long did they carry on with this style of choke lever?

Rob

Image49

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The last Norton contract, S5161 would appear from photos to have the ball-ended Amal type top controls..I believe they had 7/8" bars.

There are two types of Norton Doherty controls which have interchangeable internals, the pre-war squared-off style with a large hex screw and a later more rounded type with a small-hex. Both types are of all brass construction except for the top cover which was plated steel, they were originally dull chrome plated and later cadmium. They are quite a clever design as there is an internal tension nut and 'D' washer. Unlike with Amal and the crude Bowden set-up, the top cover is purely a dust cover and its loss does not result in a loss of tension on the lever..not that they come undone, as there is no rotating motion.

I have seen the later type cadmium-plated in 7/8" too, which suggests that some 7/8" bars WD16H may have had them (or were they simply supplied as a spare part ?)

In this photo, above are the early pattern and underneath the later-war type.

Doherty-Levers

This is the late Doherty with the cover off. Lock washer etc. are identical to Pre- / early-war.

Late-Doherty-open

Heres a BSA lever (LV7-BC) I hadn't seen before in post war chrome, made by Amal but without "AMAL" on the clamp.

Rob

Picture-147

Picture-148

Picture-149

Picture-150

Picture-151

Picture-152

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1