Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
15-39 Washer

Whilst making an oversized bush for my worn gearbox cover (15-4226) I discovered another sweet little feature.
The fit of the bush in the cover is all that controls any endfloat from the inner cover side.
The washer 15-0039 I have seems to be very soft. With too much effort applied to the nut the washer could crush and lock the bush to the shaft.
This I think happened to mine.
Should this be a hard washer, or am I missing something?

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Re: 15-39 Washer

The rear inner cover bush has a locating shoulder on the inside so it can't move further back than the inner face of the rear cover as it sits against it...
The shoulder on the gear change spindle should protrude slightly beyond the rear edge/face of the bush (behind the cover) when assembled and the nut and washer tighten against that, not the bush...That allows the spindle to move/rotate freely....The washer isn't hardened but from memory it's a 'heavy' class washer and a reduced flat 7/16" washer is fitted...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

['and a reduced flat 7/16" washer is fitted..']....Of course that should say nut....:laughing:

The gearchange assembly 'floats' between the faces of the inner and outer cover 'top hat' bushes..With the nut and washer fitted against the shoulder and the circlip fitted at the outer end of the gearchange shaft there should be no axial loading....If the bushes are the correct fit in the cover nothing will move as there is no force being applied to move anything...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, it's nice to get the little things right.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Yes that washer is a thicker / heavier type than a std 7/16”

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1